General developer forum

I'm new to Moodle and need to create a trigger

Picture of Chris Jenkins
I'm new to Moodle and need to create a trigger

Hi, We've deployed Moodle and I have no idea what I'm doing smile

I'd like our course(s) to invoke a web service to an external app once a student has completed it (trigger??). Perhaps I need to build a client (web service) app and have Moodle pass it parameters and invoke it.

What's the accepted "Moodle" way I should do this?

Thanks, Chris

Average of ratings: -
Picture of Rex Lorenzo
Re: I'm new to Moodle and need to create a trigger
Group DevelopersGroup Particularly helpful MoodlersGroup Plugins guardiansGroup Testers

I would suggest creating a local plugin that responds to the "course_created" event using the Events API.

Me
Group Particularly helpful Moodlers

Hi Chris,
The events API does indeed look like the way to do this, However from your original post, It seems you want something to trigger when a course is compeleted.

From 2.3.2 onwards it looks like course_completed might be the one to meet your requirements. I have not played with this, so cannot help with code. This would make use of Course completion and activity completion to allow the course to have a course completion event.

Events which exist    (scroll down a bit).
Users

• course_completed (introduced in version 2.3.2)
    • full course_completions table record

Picture of Chris Jenkins

Thanks Richard!

Thats good news, it looks like I just create a "course completed" handler and register it by including it in mdl_events_handlers table:

INSERT INTO `moodle`.`mdl_events_handlers` (`id`, `eventname`, `component`, `handlerfile`, `handlerfunction`, `schedule`, `status`, `internal`) VALUES ('18', 'course_completed', 'mod_sp', '/mod/sp/lib.php', 'a:2:{i:0;s:18:\"enrol_meta_handler\";i:1;s:14:\"course_completed\";}', 'instant', '0', '1');

Then I just implement the lib.php handler and bob's your uncle!

Does this sound right.. anyone?  

Picture of Rex Lorenzo
Group DevelopersGroup Particularly helpful MoodlersGroup Plugins guardiansGroup Testers

Yikes, no, you shouldn't register to handle an event that way.

Please read the "Handling an event" part of the documentation:

http://docs.moodle.org/dev/Events_API#Example

There is a code example in the mod/forum directory.