Installation help

Picture of Donna Smith
Moddle Migration from Partner

We are moving our Moodle sites from a partner to our own server. We got the 3 files: database, moodledata, public_html

We imported the database using MyPhpAdm

We used FTP to put the moodledata file on the Root: home/sitename/moodledata

We used FTP to put the public_html file under a subdomain: courses

We changed the config.php file to note the new changes.

When we hit the browser, we get Server Not Found

We've checked and rechecked the paths, read everything out there on this subject. It can't be this hard. We are just missing something. Any ideas of what to check? Thanks

Average of ratings: -
Picture of Donna Smith
Re: Moddle Migration from Partner

Our host might of just figured it out. We didn't have a DNS pointer. I hope it's that simple.

Picture of Donna Smith

I have problem with one site. Some of the menu items like Site Administration are not live. Any suggestions?

Picture of Ken Task
Group Particularly helpful Moodlers

Looks like a version 2 ... did you edit the .sql dump for changes to the URL contained therein?  No matter, one can use /admin/tool/replace/ to search for 'http://oldsite/' and replace with 'http://newsite/' if the site URL/domain name has changed.   Matches that which you edited in config.php.

The other thing ... kinda depends on operating system and other info not shared so this is a guess:

From what info given (public_html) sounds like Linux.  Do all the folders/files have correct persmissions/ownerships for the 'flavor' you are running?  CentOS/RHEL uses apache:apache ... Ubuntu uses www-data:www-data (if I recall correctly).

You said 'sites' ... that should mean you have multiple code directories and multiple moodledata folders as well as multiple DB's - or am I mis-understanding that?

Are there any references to the 'troubled' site in apache logs?

If a version 2.3 or 2.4 now, both do some caching.

If one cannot get to Admin to turn on debugging, copy the 'debugging' lines from the config-dist.php file to the config.php file and see if something shows.

'spirit of sharing', Ken

Picture of Donna Smith

We have 3 moodle sites, each with it's own cpanel. The first two which were Moodle 2.2.4 did fine. But the third which is Moodle 2.2.5 has this menu problem. Which most say is a cache problem resulting in the incorrect loading of Javascript. I've yet to find a solution for this Moodle instance.

Picture of Ken Task

Not sure what 'each with it's own cpanel' means, but understand about cache issue.   Try using the 'search' box in the Site Administration menu on the front page.  Search for 'purge'.  That should hit on 'purge all caches' link.  Click that link.  That should take you to the screen were the 'purge all caches' button resides.

One might have to resort to manually removing caches ... using what ever tool you have access to that will allow browsing of files (and deleting them), navigate to data folder/cache/js/

Remove the contents of the js folder ... not the folder itself.

Consider that it also might be related to caches for themes being used on the site.  A theme folder can be found at data folder/cache/.  Contained therein, folders that are named for the themes being used.  Again, delete the contents of the folders, not the folders themselves.

Logout.  Clear your browser cache.  Login back in again.  Fingers crossed!

Is your site in the maintenance mode?  Are you logging on as a Admin level user?  Looks like one has moved from a Partner site to a remotely hosted site.  Dedicated server or on a shared host?

Is the site running any extra plugins originally provided by Partner ... other than core?  Do those still function correctly on the sites that work?

'spirit of sharing', Ken

Picture of Donna Smith

We have put each instance in it's own subdomain, so each instance has it's own cpanel.

Regardless, I fixed the menu problem but checking the box for USE online YUI libraries. Once checked the menu structure works again.

But I found another problem, no html editor in any browser. FF shows errors. I've loaded a screenshot.

This instance started from a 1.9 instance and because it's a continuing education vehicle, the students never get deleted. We are at 2.2.5 with the Certificate, Book, and Respondus as the only plugins.  This instance has always been the problem child. Even the partner had problems when it came to upgrading. Do you know what problems I'd be facing if I linked the database to a brand new updated Moodle installation?

Thanks for your sharing.

Picture of Donna Smith

The site is not in maintenance any longer. I am an administrator. And the we are using a vps server environment. Our other two sites which are 2.2.4 came thru without a hiccup, but they both started in 2.0.

Do you think it's possible there an error in the backup given to my by the partner?

Picture of Ken Task

"Do you know what problems I'd be facing if I linked the database to a brand new updated Moodle installation?"

If I knew the answer to that question I could make a lot of $$$$$! smile  In a nutshell, no.  Not sure anyone, who is not really familiar with your set up could tell you with any confidence.

Problems with Moodle are basically one of two things ... code or DB.  So what I am about to suggest one would have to think on before trying and by all means *BACKUP* before any path taken.

Sites that have been upgraded from earlier versions through the ranks of versions sometimes develop issues that are DB related.  Each step probably should have had inspected the DB schema and cleaned up the DB, etc.  Most folks, however, don't do that.  So it's hard to say if that's the issue or not - but suspect it might be a factor.

Anyway to run a clone of the 'problem site' on a 'sandbox' server? - copy of DB, copy of code, and copy of data directory in a box that has same if not similar environment.  If so, I'd recommend using fresh code for the 2.2.x version installed via git (using edited config.php file for sandbox( pointed to a copy of the database (freshly imported) and using a copy of the data directory.

Have come to the conclusion that cron on 2 is more important than it used to be with 1.9.  Any cron job errors?

As far as errors shown ... never seen such ... but a clue might be the word 'filter'.  Think following that path might lead to something!

'spirit of sharing', Ken

Picture of Donna Smith

Thanks, I see what I can do. I'm gonna ask for a new backup from the partner.

Picture of Donna Smith

I found a thread that suggested replacing the tinymce file in lib. That's what I did and that's what worked. The html editor is now working all through the site.

Thanks for trying to help. It always helps to move you forward and to continue thinking.