The Quiz Attempt feature

The Quiz Attempt feature

by Daniel Williams -
Number of replies: 10

Good morning. One of my responsibilities where I work is to facilitate the training program (Moodle-driven).

When a student takes a quiz and makes below a certain grade, they have to retake it, but we don't want them to re-take it immediately because the goal is for them to re-study the material, and retain the information - versus just answering from short-term memory. So a 30-minute window is enforced.

To accomplish this, we limit each quiz to 1 attempt and then increase it at the appropriate time. However, there are some problems with this process:

1. If I increase the attempt for one student, it increases the attempt for all students.

2. If I increase it and then decrease it after they re-attempt, their grades do not reflect their latest attempt.

3. When you consider how many quizzes there are (several), imagine how time consuming this gets.

I'd love to see:

1. Attempts on a student basis.

2. An option that automatically increments the attempt # every x minutes (EDITED) after the student's last attempt.

Is this something that is available in the core or in a mod perhaps? If not, is this something that a future update could provide? Or something that someone could build a mod around?

Thank you for your time reviewing this.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Daniel Williams

Re: The Quiz Attempt feature

by Daniel Williams -

Let me reiterate one thing because, after re-reading my post, it's not very clear. My suggestion about an option that increments the attempt # every x minutes is not to say, every 30 minutes the attempt # should be increased by 1, but 30 minutes after their last attempt.

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

The feature User Override should accomplish most of what you want.  It is found in quiz settings and allows you to change quiz settings on a per user basis.  

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

On the quiz settings form (if you click Show advanced) you can set the quiz to allow multiple attempts, with a delay of at least 30 minutes (or whatever time you like) between attempts.

In reply to Tim Hunt

by Daniel Williams -

Thanks for the quick response! I don't see an option for user overrides or delays. I clicked on one of the quizzes and chose Edit Settings.

Is this available in a specific version of Moodle? I'm running 2.3.2+ (Build 20121014).

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

When you actually click on the quiz, you should get a Quiz Administration menu in the left hand column (normally)- User Overrides is in that menu.  The time delay is found in the Edit Settings icon by the quiz title when you have editing turned on on the course page.

In reply to Emma Richardson

by Daniel Williams -

I'm still having trouble. Sorry about this! I wonder if it's permissions or if I'm still looking in the wrong spot. Attached is an image of the menu.

On the Settings screen, I have a General area, a Restrict to time period area, Display Settings, Grade Settings, Additional Settings, Common Module Settings, and Activity Completion.

Attachment quiz1.jpg

by Emma Richardson -

It looks like you are not using the builtin quiz module but a SCORM module instead.  That would explain the lack of user override.  The built in Quiz in moodle has a lot more capability.

In reply to Emma Richardson

by Daniel Williams -

Oh, I didn't think about that. I wish we were using Moodle's built-in Quiz module, but there were some reasons the company elected to go with a SCORM system.

I've heard that Moodle is pouring more into their SCORM support. Is that true?

Have you heard anything about these features (attempts per student and x minute delay between allowed attempts) coming to Moodle for SCORM users?

by Emma Richardson -

Unfortunately, I do not use SCORM that much - I suggest moving over to the SCORM forum - I will bet someone there knows far more than I do!!