General help

Picture of Stephen Watson
User hierarchy

Hello I am new to moodle, and have tried to do various searches to find the answer but to no avail.

What I would like to achieve is this in terms of user profile organisation:

a root (UK)

with counties below (Yorkshire,Lancashire,Cumbria)

with each county having various cities

and each city having various companies

no here is the tricky bit. I would like to put an administrater at every level that can view all the way down the tree in terms of results, but also to be able to attach courses and have those filter down the tree as well.

Any Help with ideas on how to achieve this would be fantastic,

thanks

Steve

Average of ratings: -
Mary Cooch
Re: User hierarchy
Group Documentation writersGroup Moodle Course Creator Certificate holdersGroup Moodle HQGroup Particularly helpful MoodlersGroup TestersGroup Translators

HI Stephen. I heard you shouting - you are in Blackpool; I am in Prestonsmile Just to let you know I am moving your question from the lounge (which is for social chat) to the General problems forum where you should get more specific help.

Picture of Howard Miller
Group DevelopersGroup Documentation writersGroup Particularly helpful Moodlers

If you organise this structure as Course Categories, you can then add a 'Manager' (not an administrator) to the appropriate Course Category and they will have full control of that category, its subcategories and all their courses.

When looking at a Course Category page, look for 'Assign roles' in the settings.

Hi Howard,

Thanks for the reply. I can't seem to get this wroking.

I have created 3 catagories (Training > UK > Internal Staff) each has a manager. I have attached a course to Training. I have assigned the role of student to a user in both UK and Internal Staff however they cannot enroll on the course.

(They can also see the full category structure which is another issue I will need to address before going live)

Mary Cooch
Group Documentation writersGroup Moodle Course Creator Certificate holdersGroup Moodle HQGroup Particularly helpful MoodlersGroup TestersGroup Translators

Hi Stephen. If you are going to go down the category enrolment route, please take a look at the documentation here: http://docs.moodle.org/en/Category_enrolments

Did you mean by the way that you had made a category and then a sub category and then a sub-sub category of the three terms, or three separate categories?

Sorry, I meant sub catagories. I will look at that document now. Thanks for your help

EDIT

I have looked into enabling Category enrollment, but Moodle would not allow it telling me to use Cohort Sync. I did have a play around with cohorts, but couldn't work out how to get them nested..

Picture of Pascal Maria

I saw some good tutorials about this on moodletuts that you can check out. I`m also trying to implement some on http://www.frivboom.com but still working on this . Hope this helps.

Thanks for the link, I had a look at moodletuts but unfortunately not what im looking for. I think I may need to look into modifying the moodle core to build in this functionality as I cant see any other way to manage my users.

the user hierarchy is an ideal requirement, but with that I need to enrol people on courses based on groups, but also hide/unhide courses (or course categories) based on their group membership

Picture of Howard Miller

I would suggest you went a step beyond what I suggested. I would strongly discourage enrolling students in any place other than an ordinary course. If you need to automatically enroll groups students in multiple courses you are better with something like Cohorts

As a rule of thumb, teachers should be enrolled in the actual courses they teach in and students should be enrolled in the actual courses they are taught in. You can get some very weird behaviour if you don't do that.

Assigning Managers at category level is a different thing.

Thanks Howard,

Its more of a corporate online training scenario we have. So the 'teachers' are just training managers that want to get reports on their users. But we need to be able to add new courses to specific organisations and hide courses from others.

Now it is possible that my idea of heirarchy is outdated and there is a better way to achieve the same functionality whilst keeping adminstration easy. My knowledge of Moodle is now 2 days old and I can see there is going to be a steep learning curve.

Picture of Howard Miller

There is no way in 'standard' Moodle to hide courses from groups of users. It was never designed to do that.

Noting that this is blatant advertising, my (Moodle Partner) company has a fork of Moodle that does just this: http://www.e-learndesign.co.uk/perficio-management-tool/

Thanks for the info, I will pass on that link to my superiors.