Ad-hoc reporting limitation

Ad-hoc reporting limitation

by Simon Hanmer -
Number of replies: 5

Does anyone know if the 5000 record limitation in the ad-hoc reporting module also applies to the downloaded data?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Simon Hanmer

Re: Ad-hoc reporting limitation

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

I think it does.

However, it is easy to change. Find the line

define('REPORT_CUSTOMSQL_MAX_RECORDS', 5000);

at the top of report/customsql/locallib.php, and change 5000 to whatever you want.

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Simon Hanmer -

Tim,
 thanks for that - do you know if there are any adverse implications for increasing the record limit to say 10,000?

I did try and check this and found that in most cases I was only getting 5000 records in the downloaded file, but I had a couple of queries involving unions which were returning 10000+ records so I was a little confused (I guess it's possible that the unions are seen as seperate queries?)

In reply to Simon Hanmer

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

The limit should apply to all queries. Weird.

The only reason to have the limit is to make it hard for a malicious person to create a query that crashes your server. It is just a basic sanity check. 

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Tim Hunt

by George Prout -

I know I'm a bit late to the party, but I had a site with 50k users and upped this limit, no problem...
... until I ran a large report - it wasn't the server that died, it was the browser.  Running a full user report ran ok (~2.5 seconds) and it then proceeded to display the whole thing in an html table.  Neither Firefox nor IE liked that and after about 45+ minutes of trying to render the 50k row table the browser would crash. 

The (quick and simple) fix was to // the code that displays the report after running it - the CSV files were fine.  A better solution would have been to apply the limit to the display code but I didn't need to go there smile

Just something to bear in mind, hope this helps if you're having any issues as your report grows.

George

In reply to Simon Hanmer

by the fixboard -

Dear all,

I was wondering if you could help me with this Query.

select b.firstname, b.lastname, b.email, d.fullname as CourseName, d.shortname as ModuleIdentifier, a.submission_grade, DATE_ADD('1970-01-01', INTERVAL a.submission_modified SECOND) AS SubmissionDateTime from mdl_turnitintooltwo_submissions as a
join mdl_user as b on a.userid = b.id
join mdl_turnitintooltwo c on c.id = a.id
join mdl_course d on c.course = d.id

This is only picking up 1000 reports. I had earlier changed the report limit but on this report its picking up only 1000 odd reports probably something wrong in the Query.

Any help would be appreciated