Themes

It's only an avatar...
Re: Mixed up URL's in Accentuate Dropdown Menus (YUI
Group DevelopersGroup Documentation writersGroup Particularly helpful MoodlersGroup Testers

Hi,

I would not have thought this is anything to do with the way the Custom Menu works, that's if you are adding the URLs via the section in Site Administration > Appearance > Themes > Theme settings.

The syntax for this is:

Link Name|URL|Alt|Language

so you would have something like this...

Google|http://google.com|Google search Engine|en (this last section is only useful if you use different languages)

The highlighted syntax below changes to HTML like so...

<a href="http://google.com" alt="Google Search Engine" >Google</a>

And so it is a normal link.

However if the links are attached to URLs inside a course then anyone NOT logged in will need to login. This is if I am understanding what you are saying.

If not can you send me a link to your site to see what;s happening?

Thanks

EDITED:

Phil, I have just tried the URL you added and find that the stelth of your firewall is preventing me to open the page, so it looks like an internal server problem probably due to you having https: security settings.

Mary

Average of ratings: -
Phil Everist

Hi Mary - thanks for your reply

I've done some more testing and I think I have resolved the more visible issue to do with the theme custom menu links but I still have theme related issues with mixed URL's happening in the background as various page items are requested.

The issue with the menu items sets the scene for the other issues so here is the sequence of development and what I'm observing to happen:

• INternal use site set up with internal intranet style address 'moodle.health.local'  
  • menu links were added vie the theme custom menu entry box  using the internal addresing e.g. --Mandatory Education|http://moodle.health.local/course/category.php?id=11 (all working fine)
  • External access to the same site implemented using an internet accessible web address 'theo.dhhs.tas.gov.au' - this internet external link to the site also works internally and has been promoted for use by internal empoyees instead of the moodle.health.local address.  
  • When logging in externally (regardless of whether the user is actually external via the internet or just using the external address internally)  the menu system is clever enough to substitute the internal theme menu links with the external address for the root of the link so they are the same as the moodle core links etc. (e.g. link now displays as 'theo.dhhs.tas.gov.au/courses ...'  not 'moodle.health.local/courses...'    Even the links in the Theme settings entry box now display with the external root address (a bit disconcerting to see them changed from what I entered). So long as I don't update the links having logged in using the external address then the theme links will still display as orginally entered when i log back in using the internal address.
  • Here's where things went wrong - when an update was applied to the Themes custom  menu entry box while logged in using the external address, all the links that were displayed with the external root address root and were then saved with that external root. Now when I log back in using the internal address all theme links have now permananetly changed and now display with the incorrect external root address (moodle core links unaffected and use the correct internal adress root).  As using the custom menu now effectively switches to an external site address, the user is prompted to log in. 

The problem is solved in so far as making sure we  only update the theme menu links when logged in using the internal address which maintains the original internal address roots for all entries.

We still have other problems - using httpfox to see what addresses are being used to retrieve various theme and core content items as a page is rendered indicates a mix of root addresses being used when building a page.

The attached spreadsheet shows the addresses being used loggind using the external address and navigating to a course. I have highlighted the rows that indicate when the internal moodle address is being used. These internal addresses are not accessible if the person is outside the firewall accessing via the internet. 

Any suggestions on why the mix of addressess for building pages is occuring?     

Picture of Richard Oelmann
Group Particularly helpful MoodlersGroup Testers

I don't think this is specifically a theme issue as you appear to be accessing the moodle system using two completely different web addresses. I would have thought you need to use one or the other not a mixture of both? While a redirect may work if both are inside the firewall or both are outside it, a combination where one is inside a firewall and the other is outside is (I would have thought) almost certain to cause authentication issues such as those you have found.

What does your moodle config.php file say as your root for the moodle install (not the theme, the whole of moodle)?

If you move the web address to use the external address, have you run the database tool which can change all the references for you?

Mary, or one of the hq developers, may be able to confirm better than me, though - but that would be my understanding of the situation and my suggestion would be to switch the entire site to the external url and run the database tool as if you were moving it to another server so that the url addresses are all automatically adjusted for you.

Richard

It's only an avatar...
Group DevelopersGroup Documentation writersGroup Particularly helpful MoodlersGroup Testers

Phil,

I am inclined to agree with Richard on this as this is not a theme issue, as the same problem would arise if you were to change theme to Standard.

You can check this out by enabeling Allow theme change by URL in Site Administration > Appearance > Themes > Theme settings

After saving this setting add the following in your browser address bar just after your main moodle site url.

/?theme=standard

This will only change on your computer, and will revert back to your custom theme when you log off.

Let me know if the problem is still happening?

If it is I need to MOVE this discussion to another forum where hopefully you will get some much needed help.

Mary

Phil Everist

Thanks Richard & Mary for your assistance - i did check with the standard theme as suggested and the same issues happen so I agree it's not an 'Accenuate' specific issue and we need to just use one URL for external and internal. I'm in contact with our IT guys to get this sorted out. 

Thanks