Moodle Quiz Template Version 21

Moodle Quiz Template Version 21

by Frankie Kam -
Number of replies: 6
Picture of Plugin developers

Hi

I'm using this Ms Word quiz template --save to--> XML file. It works and saves me time when creating quiz questions.

Forum:
https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=164310

Direct link:
http://moodle.wcc.nsw.edu.au/mod/resource/view.php?id=6059

Anyone else using a template similar to this? What's the best practice when it comes to creating quiz questions for Moodle? Just use Notepad and create GIFT format questions? Or use Excel templates?

Please share your tool and experience.

Thanks,
Frankie Kam

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Frankie Kam

Re: Moodle Quiz Template Version 21

by Paula Clough -

Frankie,

Thank you. I just downloaded it and am trying it out.  Impressed already!

Paula cool

In reply to Frankie Kam

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Frankie "What's the best practice when it comes to creating quiz questions for Moodle? Just use Notepad and create GIFT format questions? Or use Excel templates?"

Your forgot the most obvious choice: use the Moodle Question bank's editing interface.wink

Joseph

In reply to Joseph Rézeau

by Frankie Kam -

Hi Joseph

Thanks. I just got started with Moodle 2.4 for one of my courses. I'm finding the Quiz module better in terms of usability compared to Moodle 1.9.x. 

Frankie Kam

In reply to Frankie Kam

by Anatoliy Yashenkin -

Hi, everyone!

I've got a little problem with moodle_quiz_v21. I have a lot of questions that have several lines of text for question name, title and answers. This module only understands questions that have only one line of text. Can anyone help me to modify this module to export questions with several lines of text. 

Another problem is that this module creates simple text, but not html. Sometimes it is very important to have question text with some html tags, like <strong>, <i> etc....

Excuse my bad English улыбаюсь

In reply to Anatoliy Yashenkin

by Eoin Campbell -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

I think it would be quite difficult to extend this Word template to support your requirements, because paragraph styles are used to delimit the various components of each question. I developed an alternative template that uses table cells instead, thus allowing more complex structures inside each component. cf. https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=252288 for an example.

In reply to Anatoliy Yashenkin

by Anh Tuan Bui -

Hi,

If you have these questions in MS Word, you can replace the Paragraph mark (Crlt+p or ^p, which is equivalent to an Enter hit) with Line mark (Ctrl+l, or ^l, equivalent to Shift+Enter hit) that will retain the style format of the Question type () or the answers (either correct or incorrect).

The advantage of this method is that you can quickly format and upload these questions to Moodle question bank. The disadvantage is that the format of the paragraph doesn't look good, esp. if the question is a long text that comprise several paragraphs.

To overcome this, you need to re-edit these questions directly in Moodle Quiz Module (hitting Enter to create spacing between paragraphs of question texts.

Another way is to add these questions manually on Moodle Quiz module. However, this would take much more time to do with this method.

CheersTuan