Configurable reports block (add-on)

Picture of Kimber Warden
Making Report Available to Teachers

I'm having trouble making a SQL report available to teachers. I have made sure teachers have system permissions to view reports, and added "User with the selected role/s in the current report course - Teacher" on the report's permissions tab. The report appears in my Configurable Reports block on the front page (I'm an admin), but it's not in the block when I'm in a course I teach. Is there something else I should check? Do I need to write anything in the conditions field on the Permissions tab, or is it enough to just select from the drop-down menu?

Here is the XML:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" ?>
<report version="2011040104"><visible><![CDATA[1]]></visible>
<name><![CDATA[Report Sandbox]]></name>
<summary><![CDATA[<p>Test to see whether a teacher can access this report</p>]]></summary>
<type><![CDATA[sql]]></type>
<pagination><![CDATA[0]]></pagination>
<components><![CDATA[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]]></components>
<export><![CDATA[xls,]]></export>
<jsordering><![CDATA[1]]></jsordering>
</report>

Average of ratings: -
Picture of Kirk Bobash
Re: Making Report Available to Teachers

I think one clue may be that you created the report on the front page, but are trying to access them within a course (a different context).

I don't know if there is another way to do it, but I had to add the Configurable Reports block directly in the course in which I wanted Teachers to use it. That way, they are in the same context.

Picture of Peter Bowen
Re: Making Report Available to Teachers

I had the same issue, and have struggled with it for a while now.

The workaround I did was create a system wide report role, which had the only attribute in it to view reports. Once this was done, anyone with permission on a report on the front page would see the block - anyone else would not see it.

Hope this helps.

Cheers
Peter