General help

Picture of Ian L
Ideas on how to extend a course?

I would like to extend the length of a course, however I find that writing multiple choice, true false and fill in the blank questions takes a lot of time. If I spend an hour writing it then students spend less than ten minutes doing it! 

I am looking for something automatic without course tutors, correcting and the like. IDK... Any ideas? 2.3.1

Average of ratings: -
I Teach With Moodle
Re: Ideas on how to extend a course?
Group Testers

Hi Ian, 

could you please provide any more information? What is the course for? Who is it for? What is the purpose of the course? 

The more detailed your question, the better the answer will be. At the moment I think your question is a tad too broad for most people to try and answer it.

Cheers,
Fred

Picture of Ian L

Thanks it's a teacher training course.

paula
Group Particularly helpful Moodlers
  • Forums for teachers to discuss what they are learning. 
  • Glossary or database for teachers to post ideas on how they will use what they are learning.  Comments can be turned on so others can comment on or add to the ideas.
  • If they are doing any research on the concepts, the glossary or database can house the links to sites that were particularly useful
  • A wiki for teachers to work together in groups to plan how the things they are doing could be used in their courses.

Paula cool

Picture of AL Rachels
Group DevelopersGroup Particularly helpful MoodlersGroup Testers

Hi Ian,

The upside to spending the hour to occupy them for ten minutes is that you can reuse the questions the next time you teach the same material. Over the long haul, everytime I reteach something, I try to add more questions and make the question bank larger, whether I use all of the questions or not during a current session.

Every year, some of my seventh and eighth graders show they have very poor English writing skills even though English is their native language. A few years ago I started using the Nanogong for HTML editor (available for 2.3 but not for 2.4 yet) to make many of my questions into audio questions. It slows them down to have to listen and then fill in the blank with a typed answer. With these types of questions, I will sometimes do adaptive mode tests which "slows" them down some more by checking each question to see if they got it right.  Depending on the question difficulty I alter the penalty percentage to give them 2, 3, or 4 attempts.

Nanogong and PoodLL also have assignment modules that I use to make students give me both written and recorded assignments. Doing both, of course, takes a little extra time and makes an assignment take a little longer overall, but without really taking any more of my time in creating and grading the assignment.

Another thing I have been doing to make creating questions easier is by using the voice recognition program Dragon Naturally Speaking. It does cost money but to me it is worth it. It will let me dictate directly into the question and answer HTML editors. Once you get it trained to your voice and you learn its gotchas, it speeds up making questions because I can talk faster than I can type. An added bonus is that I can dictate remarks while grading assignments, instead of typing details of what's wrong and what they need to do to fix their errors.

Hope this helps,

AL

Picture of Ian L

Thanks. Audio sounds good.

Picture of Justin Hunt
Group Particularly helpful Moodlers

It kind of depends on what you are teaching. In my case I teach Conversational English to ESL learners. So I try to fill the class with as many pair talking activities as possible. In many cases the "activity" contains very little Moodle at all. The point here is that the Moodle activity just triggers the student interaction. The students spend a lot less time interacting with Moodle or listening to me, than I think is usual.

So I often simply add  "pages" to the course, and on that page I put a resource that i can relate to the topic we are studying. It may be a cartoon with no words, or a video, or a set of flashcards (PoodLL or Quizlet).  In pairs the students have to tell the story of the video/cartoon in English or make sentences from the prompts on the flashcards.

Once the students are used to that style, I find that they like it and a lot of the pressure to deliver more and more from the front eases. 

Average of ratings:Useful (1)
Picture of Ray Morris
Group DevelopersGroup Particularly helpful Moodlers

however I find that writing multiple choice, true false and fill in the blank questions takes a lot of time. If I spend an hour writing it then students spend less than ten minutes doing it! 

As others have noted, Moodle is modeled around the idea of interaction, interaction between students, interaction with the instructor, etc.   Where questions and answers are appropriate, writing questions within the Moodle GUI is the slow way.  AIken and GIFT formats are much quicker:

http://docs.moodle.org/23/en/Import_questions#Question_import_formats