Quiz

Picture of Nathan Hammond
Issues with promoting questions to a higher (shared context)

My bottomline question is: What is the best way to share questions bewteen to teachers and continue to share them when you restore the course (what happens now is that all the shared questions are copied to the course level context--thus creating duplicates)

Longer explanation:

I have a course (German 1) that has hundreds of short answer and MC questions that I promote to a higher context level so that my colleague can also access these questions. It's also convenient because as I add more questions or correct questions they are available to both of us instantly. 

This works fine until the change of the semester comes because when we restore the course to create a new one (we need the old one to stay active for a while in case grade disputes arise).  When we restore that course into a new one...all the questions that are in the shared context are demoted back down to the course context and now I have duplicates of all those questions in the question back. They exist in both the course context and the shared/higher context. 

The duplicates (when it's in the hundreds) is not a best practice. I need to find a way to do this that doesn't duplicate and doesn't force me to delete questions. If I delete questions from the question bank then I often also break the tests (they now don't have any questions in them).

Can anybody share any thoughts on this that could help move me towards a solution?

Average of ratings: -
Picture of Peter Kupfer
Re: Issues with promoting questions to a higher (shared context)

All of the questions we share in the same course category as the course is. So, on our main page we have all of the courses grouped by department (math, science, etc...) and then all of the science courses are in the same category. Then when I create a new question that I want the other science classes to be able to use I put it in the science category as well. Then, whenever a new course is added under science the teacher in that course can see them, but the teachers in math can't. 

I think there is role or permission you have to add to make it work, but I don't remember precisely what they are or if they changed in Moodle 2. I found the instruction somewhere on the Moodle site so they should still be there.

Correct...this is what we do as well.

But when I go to restore the course (for the next semester) all the questions that are in the parent category get copied into the new course's default category (not the parent) and this problematic because now I have the same questions in the default course as well as in the Parent level category.

Picture of Emma Richardson
Group Particularly helpful Moodlers

There is something wrong here because I do this regularly (well, every semester!) and the questions never change category.  Perhaps you need to move them all to a system level category and see if that resolves it.  You say they are demoted back down, does this mean they origanally had a copy at the course level?  This might be causing the issue.  The questions should only exist at the higher level.

I start a course and promote all my questions to the shared category. I have no questions in the course level (all are at the shared level). Then when I restore the course I end up with duplicates. All the questions that were in the shared level are duplicated and put into the course level as well. Now at that point I have dupliates.

I take it this is not a common experience and that something is wrong. Any ideas as to where to check.

Do you create the question at the course level and then move it to the system level or just initially create it at the system level?

I get this error that tells me it's duplicating the questions. Does this help anybody understand what's going on. Any ideas?

Could this have to do with a role permission that I don't have?

What does this quiz question error mean?

When I restore my course from one semester to the next all the questions I have in a shared category get duplicated back into the course level category. This the error I get:

The questions category "XYZ", orginally at system/course category context in backupfile, will be created at course context by restore.

Anybody know what I'm doing wrong? or how to proceed with troubleshooting?

Picture of Kathleen Burns
Re: What does this quiz question error mean?

Nathan:  This is happening to me, also.  I posted my question on Friday 2/8/13 in this Quiz forum, but no responses.  I don't believe it's a "roles" issue, as I am the site admin.  I hope that someone can answer definitively as to the best location for questions. 

Each one of our courses is currently in its own category.  I have one, single TEMPLATE course with all the file contents and quizzes.  The template course gets backed up and restored every time we have a new course.  At that time, all the quiz questions are duplicated.  I don't know how to avoid the duplication.  Just wanted you to know you are not alone.

Re: What does this quiz question error mean?

What version of Moodle are you all using?

This does sound like it could be a permission issue.

Picture of Kathleen Burns

Nathan:  Please see response to my similar question by Ray Morris... his solution is working for me.   https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=221765

Thank you...I will look into it.

I like the idea of posting the shared questions in a seperate course and promoting them to a higher context. That might work for me.