General developer forum

Picture of Joshua Johnston
Implementing Admin Settings pages, etc

Hi everyone,

As of now I have a basic form with a few fields using default values and the likes. What I would really like is for checkboxes to dynamically enable/disable dependant form fields using javascript as well as execute custom logic on a successful submit.

Is there a good reference for adding this type of advanced functionality to an Admin Settings page for your own local plugin? The wiki page I found is very basic and only gives a reference to how the forum module's settings are constructed. I would be happy to add/update a wiki page with this info as well if needed.

Average of ratings: -
Re: Implementing Admin Settings pages, etc

What is the preferred way to create a settings page for a plugin that has a hierarchy of settings that should be enabled/disabled based on the value of a parent setting?

Do I need to create an external settings page, how does that work? Can someone point me to the docs or an example in moodle of doing something like this? I am at a loss here.

Picture of Jitendra Gaur

I was hoping to find an example or documentation of how to make a group of settings that would be enabled/disabled based upon a checkbox on the same settings page. The wiki page says to find an example in the existing settings and copy it but I cannot find one nor any reference to creating one "The Moodle Way"

Am I just missing it because of being new to Moodle or has this not been done?

Picture of Jitendra Gaur

Hi Joshua,

you can use  external admin page and create a form if you dont want to use standart admin setting functions.

moodle form has a function called ($mform->disabledIf())

In which you can mention the condition.

Hope it will help you.

Thanks

Picture of Shawn Drake

Hi Joshua,

I am currently looking for a way to do the exact same type of thing with my plugin. You are correct that it is either not a part of the "Moodle Way" at this point, or it's terribly hard to find the documentation to support it.... or even an example of it. 

What was your solution to the problem? I thought about doing it the way Jitendra mentions, but I'd much prefer to do it on the admin settings page. 

Picture of Shawn Drake

FYI, I found this post which was very helpful: https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=169124)