Lockable admin defaults for module settings

Lockable admin defaults for module settings

by Damyon Wiese -
Number of replies: 10

I am looking for feedback on a new feature I want to add so that I can use it for the assignment module. 

https://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-37459

This adds functions that make it easy to create admin defaults for module settings and also allow them to be configured as locked (cannot be changed by a teacher) and advanced (only visible when show advanced is toggled). 

There are some screenshots of applying this to the assignment module - but ideally we would add this to all core modules.

Some other suggestions I have heard that are similar include allowing multiple templates to be defined for a module and choosing a template will apply all of the defaults for that template.

Thanks, Damyon

Average of ratings: Useful (4)
In reply to Damyon Wiese

Re: Lockable admin defaults for module settings

by Gareth J Barnard -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Dear Damyon,

I like the idea and concept that it gives more control to admin's to implement site policy.  It also reduces the amount of time teachers expend in choices as the decision has been made for them.  I would welcome the ability throughout Moodle core as I've had comments from users that they disable certain functionality from teachers in my course format.  Currently this is implemented as an 'invisibility' such that they do not know the functionality exists or wonder why another site has more options - so this is a really good way forward.

Cheers,

Gareth

In reply to Gareth J Barnard

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Gareth "I like the idea and concept that it gives more control to admin's to implement site policy."

As a (former) teacher I am very much against any feature that gives more control to admins and less to teachers, of course.wink

Joseph

In reply to Damyon Wiese

by Jason Hardin -

I concur this would be a very useful feature for all activities. We get this request 5 or 6 times a year from clients. My only wish would be we could push this to user based settings as well.  Allowing teachers to setup their defaults for an activity if they are different from the site defaults.

In reply to Damyon Wiese

by Kris Stokking -

Nice work Damyon, +1 for this feature.  The amount of options in Moodle can be daunting for new users, and this would allow admins to have better control over which settings are the most important for content creation within their institution while reducing some of the clutter.  

Would other modules be able to benefit from this for free, or would each need to implement it in their own way?  I see some changes made to mod/assign, but those look like unrelated bug fixes.

In reply to Kris Stokking

by Damyon Wiese -

There are changes to modules required to enable this (they are minimal). There is an example on the linked issue for mod_assign - we would do this for all core modules once we have nailed down the API. 

(Yes there are some minor tweaks to mod_assign in those patches which I should remove).

In reply to Kris Stokking

by Damyon Wiese -

A couple of design questions for this feature:

Should it apply to more than just course module forms (If so give examples please)?

Is it worth the extra complexity (code and UI) to let users set their own defaults?

Thanks, Damyon

In reply to Damyon Wiese

by Damyon Wiese -

One more design question:

If a setting is locked - should it:

A) appear on the form as readonly

B) not appear at all on the form

C) not appear unless the users clicks a "View locked settings" link on the form.

In reply to Damyon Wiese

by Damyon Wiese -

I tested this a bit and I think (A) - it was a bit confusing when some settings did not show up at all - especially if they cause other settings to be disabled. Anything else would also require special handling to prevent empty sections

In reply to Damyon Wiese

by Séverin Terrier -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

This seems an interesting improvement smile

And i would also choose A, because it seems more logical, and let people see what exists (even if it's locked). Of course, it would not be shown directly if marked as "Advanced" (and i think it's enough) wink

In reply to Damyon Wiese

by Kris Stokking -

I would also agree with A, to avoid confusion (B) and unnnecessary complexity (C)

Average of ratings: Useful (1)