General help

Picture of Peter Walther
HDD space

Hi everyone. Iam running Moodle on a ubuntu server and for some reason all the HDD space keeps getting used up. Last week wednesday I increased the drive space by 30GB and two days later 100% of the drive is used up. Iam not very effeciant with Linux and Iam stumpted. Any idea's?

Average of ratings: -
Picture of Howard Miller
Re: HDD space
Group DevelopersGroup Documentation writersGroup Particularly helpful Moodlers

Are you running automated backups without ever deleting any. If you have lots of courses (particularly with lots of uploaded materials) you can fill up the disk space in no time.

Otherwise you will need to work out where the space is getting used up. A good start is...

du -sh /path/to/moodledata

which should, at least, confirm if your moodledata directory is the culprit.

Picture of Rick Jerz
Group Particularly helpful Moodlers

Try determining how the disk space is being used up.  If you have access to SSH, go into different directories and issue a "du" command.  Take note of each directory's size.

There may be other ways too.  I am not sure how to determine the size of the moodle database.

Picture of Howard Miller
In MySQL the database is just files (if you know where to look) so 'du' does the job. However, it's highly unlikely to be the database. You have to go some to add 1G of data to a Moodle database.

Picture of Rick Jerz

Howard, I agree. I just checked one of my sql dump files.  After 1 1/2 years of running Moodle 2.0., my database is only 123MB.  Not bad, especially since I have Moodle setup to save all logs.

Typically, were are the database files in a Linux system?

Picture of Howard Miller

/var/lib/mysql seems popular.

You will find a separate directory for each database under there.

Picture of Rick Jerz

Great!  I knew that these database files had to be somewhere.  I won't forget this.