General help

Error after login 2.4

Me
Error after login 2.4

I am installing a new instance of Moodle 2.4 on a different hosting service. When I logged in it comes up with an error "ERROR!!! The code you are using is OLDER than the version that made these databases!" it was working fine and then just started doing this. any ideas how to correct it? I first got it when I went to the noticifcation.

Average of ratings: -
Picture of Howard Miller
Re: Error after login 2.4
Group DevelopersGroup Documentation writersGroup Particularly helpful Moodlers

Usually because it's true.

If it's a new instance, I would drop the database and do it again. Probably quickest

Me

I have dropped the database and imported it back twice. I am still getting the same error.

Every time I go to the notification I get the same thing. I cannot ad any plug ins.

Any other ideas?

I have even went to run the install.php and it goes back to the same error page.

Picture of Howard Miller

imported? Why would you import the database if it is a new installation?

Me

I had 1.9.5 on a hosted server. I was changing hosting services and decided to upgrade to 2.4. I had to bring all the courses into the 2.x format. I did this on a test server which then gave me a sql file to import. I had a second test server which I tested the procedures so that I knew it would work. When I went to the new hosting services I followed the same procedures. Then I came up with this error which did not come up on the test. I have no idea how to correct this.

Picture of Howard Miller

In which case the Moodle code on your test site is newer than the Moodle code on your production site. Check the build number in version.php (in the root directory of Moodle) if you want to be sure.

Picture of Rick Jerz
Group Particularly helpful Moodlers

DeWayne, do you have new Moodle 2.4 running on your new server with a blank database?  I assume that you have made it this far, but I thought that I would ask.  In other words, separate the issues.  1) Make sure that you can get a new Moodle 2.4 up and running on your new server, 2) then try importing the old database following the guidelines of how to step through the various Moodle versions.

Picture of Ken Task
Group Particularly helpful Moodlers

In the version.php file of the test server from which you uploaded the sql dump, search for $release:

cd /var/www/html/moodle/
fgrep '$release" version.php

make note of what it says.

Example:
$release  = '2.4.1+ (Build: 20130118)';  // Human-friendly version name

In the the sql dump you are using to import to the new server, open the .sql dump in a text editor and search for:

'Build'

That should find the sql lines related to mdl_config table.  The second hit:
Example:
'2.4.1+ (Build: 20130118)'

The two match and one shouldn't have the issue you are seeing.

Suggestion:
On the production server, git the latest 2.4.1+ code.  Even if the sql dump is a little behind, the production server should throw you into an update, but that's ok - isn't it?

'spirit of sharing', Ken