Warning messages with Topcoll and latest Moodle 2.4.1+

Re: Warning messages with Topcoll and latest Moodle 2.4.1+

by Rick Jerz -
Number of replies: 7
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

Well Gareth, yep, a little more work cut out for you.  Maybe it was appropriate for me to post this in the Moodle Tracker because maybe someone will find a work around.  Or they might simply tell you to fix your plugin. sad

I could not detect any harm in Moodle's operation (yet), so maybe I can just turn off debug messages (although I hate to do this because sometimes students let me know about these messages.)

In reply to Rick Jerz

by Gareth J Barnard -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Dear Rick,

No problem.  The fix is trivial, but I suspect would have lead to functionality loss.  My mind is now fuzzy having done the fix in three course formats each with two branches.

There might be a developer's brefing / news list somewhere, perhaps I just have not found it.  The snag is, half the time I only realise that something has happened when people report issues.

Cheers,

Gareth

In reply to Gareth J Barnard

by Rick Jerz -

Gareth,  I just loaded and tried your newest CT.  It did not produce the Warnings messages, so it appears that you fixed these problems.  However, I do notice that the Section headings are larger, maybe too large and crowding the arrows.  Wow, I thought that I would like larger headings too, but now I see that I prefer the old.  I think that I see that the new headings pick up the "h3" heading style.  I wonder if there is a way to give the user more control over this, like another setting just as you let the user left or center the heading.  Here's the differences:

In reply to Rick Jerz

by Rick Jerz -

I got a note from Gareth saying "

In reply to Rick Jerz

by Rick Jerz -

I got a note from Gareth say "That particular piece of css despite using font size terminology sets the margin of the text within the toggle. This selector is specific to Collapsed Topics, however the html when created shares css selectors with the theme to facilitate the font size setting in the theme to be applied as well. Therefore to change the size adjust the css in your theme. I hope this make sense"

Well, I am not sure exactly what I need to do.  I know where to put in custom css into my formal white theme, but I don't know the form of the code.  It might be something like ul.ctopics.topics....  Maybe Mary, Gareth, or someone else can help.

In reply to Rick Jerz

by Gareth J Barnard -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Dear Rick,

Please give me time and I'll FireBug the correct generic css selector to apply to the h3 tag or specific selector for CT toggles only.  The text should not be bumping into the arrows and I did put some padding in my styles.css to sort this.

Cheers,

Gareth

by Gareth J Barnard -

Dear Rick,

To target Collapsed Topics only toggle headings, please use the '.course-content ul.ctopics li.section .content .toggle a h3.sectionname' css selector, e.g:

.course-content ul.ctopics li.section .content .toggle a h3.sectionname {

font-size: 18pt;

}

To target all 'h3' section name headings use the 'h3.sectionname' css selector, e.g:

h3.sectionname {

font-size:16pt;

}

Note that there is no space between the 'h3' and '.sectionname' to make the class 'sectionname' be attributed to the 'h3' tag that has it as an attribute rather than with a space an element that is a child of the 'h3' tag.

Cheers,

Gareth

by Rick Jerz -

Gareth, this is exactly what I was looking for.  Once I knew the general form of this CSS, I was able to modify it even more to my own liking.  Wow, I think that we are there!  I have had success on my experimental site, so maybe this weekend or so, I will upgrade my production site with the newest Moodle, Collapsed Topics, and Checklist (just began using this a couple days ago).

Here is the CSS that I added to my Formal White:

.course-content ul.ctopics li.section .content .toggle a h3.sectionname {
font-size: 10pt;
padding-left: 8px;
line-height: 120%;
}

Here is what it produces (ignore the red/green experimentation).

CT Improvements

Average of ratings: Useful (1)