SCORM

Picture of Martin Hathaway
Error: zero-sized reply message when uploading big SCORMs

I'm having difficulties uploading large (~250MB-1.9GB) SCORM files to my Moodle (2.4.1-weekly on a 6GB Linux VPS).

It appears to be successfully uploading the SCORM file, through the file picker.  This was the first hurdle I overcame - by tweaking the PHP settings, e.g. upload_max_filesize, etc.

The problem occurs when I get to the final "Save and Return" button.  It spends 1-2 mins loading/processing/thinking about it, but finally ends up returning an "Error: zero-sized reply" message.

This issue affects all the large (~200MB+) SCORMs I have, including from different producers. SCORMs smaller than 150MB have been successfully installed, including on the most recent Moodle 2.4.1+.

I've been trying to debug this for so long I cannot see the wood for the trees anymore. It's an issue that gets raised again and again on the forum, but never properly answered.

Does anyone know the reason for this problem, or have any helpful suggestions?

Average of ratings: -
Picture of Robert Saari
Re: Error: zero-sized reply message when uploading big SCORMs

Your SCORM packages are really huge, and I suspect that Moodle is choking on unzipping them.  If I remember correctly, there is a limit to the size that can be unzipped, and this may be causing your problem.  You may want to confirm this though....

The largest of these SCORMs has been successfully unzipped on a previous version of our Moodle (2.3+ on a 6GB Windows VPS). We just haven't managed to get them uploaded/working since we moved to our new VPS.

This problem was solved by increasing the max_execution_time (php.ini) to 15-20 minutes.