General help

Picture of tarik y
video embedding

hello,

i'm using moodle 2.2.3

i have some videos and i want to embed this videos in moodle pages.

i convert videos to FLV format and configure mutliplayer filter  ON in moodle.

when i add video like a file, moodle try to replace flowplayer. this is  good but there are some problems. flowplayer don't work suitable all web browsers. a lot of student have complaint about played videos. ( only a blank box show in player)

my questions;

1) which format is best for videos (flv, mp4..?)

2) which embed way is best solution for minimal problems play videos.

thanks for your helps.

Average of ratings: -
Picture of Rick Jerz
Re: video embedding
Group Particularly helpful Moodlers

To answer your question #1, I think that mp4s, in general, are best.  FLV files offer just a few features over mp4's when combined with Flash, but mp4s are now becoming the defacto standard on the Internet.  I used to use FLVs around two years ago because they provided a good balance between compressed size and quality, but now I use mp4's exclusively.

I don't embed videos into Moodle, but this is just my own preference.  Since videos can be big, if embedded into Moodle, I would have to worry about the size of moodledata and also the size of backup files.  So instead, I keep them outside of my Moodle.  This also gives me a little more flexibility, like this example (click on this link).  This example is also using mp4s.

Picture of Howard Miller
Group DevelopersGroup Documentation writersGroup Particularly helpful Moodlers

The correct format will depend on your target audience, unfortunately. You may end up needing multiple formats. FLV and H.264 are likely. The latter if you need iOS compatibility certainly.

Picture of Marc-André Sévigny

The best solution is to send the video to Youtube and embed it from there