Adaptive learning system

Adaptive learning system

by Vladimir Sarovic -
Number of replies: 10

Hello, my name is Vladimir. I live in Bosnia and Herzegovina. I wonder if it is possible in Moodle do some adaptive learning system in a way that, depending on the quiz scores will be directed to a specific lesson.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Vladimir Sarovic

Re: Adaptive learning system

by Paula Clough -

You might want to look at conditional activities.  Here's a link to the documents page with a quick video http://docs.moodle.org/22/en/Conditional_activities . There are also links above the video for Using Conditional Activites, settings and FAQs.

Paula cool

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Paula Clough

by Vladimir Sarovic -

Thanks for your answer, is there any other possibilities for work that or only with conditional activities.

In reply to Paula Clough

by Hossein Movafegh -

hi. paula

thanks for your answer...

do you know a sample websites that created using Moodle adaptively ?

In reply to Vladimir Sarovic

by Shiblee Shiblee -

I am also working in adaptivity in Moodle.

I just want to know how the rsults would be presented to users to claim that they are adaptive?

Thanks in advance

In reply to Shiblee Shiblee

by Wen Hao Chuang -

Hi Shiblee, I think in the video of this page (see below) you can see how the results would be presented... hope this helps!

http://docs.moodle.org/22/en/Conditional_activities

Basically once you completed a certain activity, the checkbox will be checked to show the teacher (and the student) that he/she already passed that activity and can proceed to the next one.

Here is another youtube video:

Wen

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Shiblee Shiblee

by Paula Clough -

Wen

Nice video.

Shiblee,

The adaptivity is in the set up.  Example:  I have students take a quiz.  If they get a certain score say 80% and above, they go on to the next concept in the course in a new set of activities.  If they get a lower score, they go to a set of review activities that will allow them to review the concepts.  They have to complete these and then either retake the original quiz or take a new one (my preference) that will allow them to go on to the next concept if they get the score you want them to get.  Choosing what equals completion is up to you.  Other activities can be set up so that the student has to view them in order to complete as well as also being able to have students checking off the activity themselves. 

Hope that helps.

In reply to Paula Clough

by Ted Curran -

I think that true adaptive learning needs to get to a higher level of granularity than what we're seeing in Moodle now. Right now, you can trigger the unlock of content based on your overall score on a quiz, like "if you score 80% on Quiz 1, unlock Activity 2". 

What you can't do is say "if student misses question 3 on Quiz 1, then unlock Learning Activity X. If student answers correctly, skip to Learning Activity Y". 

This would enable students to take a diagnostic pre-test at the beginning of a course and trigger a personalized course path through only the content they need to review/master. 

Correct me if I'm wrong, but that level of granularity is not possible in Moodle-- yet.

In reply to Ted Curran

by Hartmut Scherer -

Hi Ted,

Using the Dataform module and getting a lot of support from Itamar Tzadok, I was able to set up an online assessment tool, which helped me to find out how good students are in three areas. You could use the Dataform module for your diagnostic pre-test as well. Setting up a Dataform activity takes quite a bit of time, but I am sure you will enjoy the result.

With kind regards,

Hartmut

In reply to Hartmut Scherer

by rathankar rao -

hi hartmut,

can you share your application and its usage. I am not getting as how to use dataform module to adaptive learning. can you also share some details about it