What does your screen look like?

What does your screen look like?

by Eduardo Monteiro -
Number of replies: 15

I would like to ask the Moodle developers a simple question:

What does your screen look like when you are 'Developing' Moodle?

Meaning: what tools and programs do you have open when working with  PHP, JS, database, testing, etc.

I don't take too many risks, so I stick with Vi and Firefox. But I'm curious to find out about some of the most active developers like Martin D, Martin L, Urs, Skodak, Michael Penney and the rest of the crew wink

You guys spend lots of time working with this and I'm sure a simple text editor will get annoying after a while.

I hope this will help others that are taking the Moodle plunge like me! big grin

Thank you,

Eduardo

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Eduardo Monteiro

Re: What does your screen look like?

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
I use vim and Firefox  smile   It's not what you've got but how you set it up.

Just in case it's interesting, this is the screen of my Windows box just now.
Attachment martin.png
In reply to Martin Dougiamas

by koen roggemans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Translators
I see you have the same problem to keep track of when to go to sleep as I (and many others here on Moodle.org) big grin
In reply to koen roggemans

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Yes, that's a problem!  tongueout  That calendar program only appears when I move the mouse there (and clicks go right through it so it doesn't interfere), but it also prints reminders right in the middle of the screen when necessary.  It's Rainlendar, which i highly recommend.

by Petr Skoda -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Hi!

On Windows I am using:
  • TotalCommander for regex searching
  • PSPad editor
  • Eclipse + Xored PHP IDE
  • Tortoise CVS
  • ExamDiff
  • Firefox (Web Developer Toolbar), IE and Opera
When in linux/BSD:
  • Eclipse + Xored PHP IDE
  • vi
  • Firefox, Links

I am considering full migration to *nix just now - FreeBSD or Gentoo wink

by Urs Hunkler -
Picture of Core developers

Hi,

I work on windows with

_ PersonalBrain to visually organize files and other stuff
_ TopStyle Pro for XHTML and CSS
_ Firefox with the Web Developer Toolbar for development
_ Firefox JavaScript Debugger for JS
_ MSIE and Opera for testing
_ Xampp for my local Moodle installation
_ Skype and TheBat! (e-mail) to keep my work synchronized over the world wink

And this is how my screen looks like in the moment:

Attachment screen_urs.png
In reply to Urs Hunkler

by Martin Dougiamas -
Wow, I remember those Brains ... I tried hard to use them (in 1999) but never got the hang of them.  Are you finding it really useful?
In reply to Martin Dougiamas

by Urs Hunkler -

@"Are you finding it really useful?"

Yes, assoziative connecting information, files, urls to topics helps me a lot to organize my work. For example I am thinking about Moodle in the moment. From the Moodle point I can follow the links to Moodle projects or to Clients or to internet resources etc. On the other hand I do some Client work now and can follow links to Moodle projects and to some files I used in that connection. This is useful to me.

And I know that it is really useful, because I worked with PersonalBrain some time and stopped about 2 years ago. Then I started again because I noticed that I can handle my tasks much better with PersonalBrain than without. I better work in my one own structure and not in structures predetermined by software like file systems on one hand, bookmarking in browsers on another and project plans on a third ...

The more I learn about our brain the better I like to organize things on the computer similarly. Actual models of the brain show it working like a net with nodes and loose to fastened connections.

by Martín Langhoff -
Oh, well. Everyone is using cool tools, I think mine are simple, if not lame. Let's see...

The desktop is a powerbook running MacOSX dual-monitor (the laptop's monitor + an external LCD) doing screen panning. The additional 'space' is a huge productivity boost for me personally. I also use a Dell desktop machine as a dev server, running Debian GNU/Linux 'Sarge'.

The mac is usually running Mozilla for mail and webbrowsing, plus Firefox, Safari and Dillo. I use the 3 browsers to have different sessions (student/teacher/admin) when I'm testing stuff. On Mozilla/Firefox, the developer extensions are used and abused abundantly. Each browser has about 12 tabs open at any different time and 1/3 of those tabs are Google searches ;)

(web-based tool recount: Google Gmail Moodle GForge WRMS)

I use Terminal.app and X11.app a lot, to do stuff on the local Mac, on the dev server or on the production servers. ssh, X11 over ssh, key forwarding, etc. For coding I use emacs over X11 (but not xemacs). I used to use Eclipse with the PHP and Perl extensions a lot, but Eclipse is way too slow and somewhat unstable on OSX. So slow that emacs feels blazing fast!

(Part of my emacs reconversion comes from working with Penny ;)

On the terminal windows, I'm usually tailing logfiles, grepping (grep and pcregrep), using cvs and tla, running top, sar vmstat, and other utilities. bash autocompletion is my saviour. I'd say most of my time is spent tapping away at terminal windows or on emacs. I do use vi in its many flavours when I am editing config files on servers -- I do a bit of shell/perl programming in vi as long as scripts are short... it drives me crazy when dealing with longer programs.

The dev machine runs Apache+PHP+MySQL+Postgres all from Debian packages. It also has a desktop UI using blackbox, but I rarely hook up a monitor to that machine. It's pretty powerful machine, and right now I'm giving it a workout, by running three simultaneous UML instances, testing a GForge install. It also has some chroot environments I use for Debian development.

I try to avoid keyboard/mouse switches, so I'm using keyboard shortcuts and navigations as much as possible. I really like the Cmd-Tab vs Cmd-` that OSX uses to switch apps or windows within an app.

So that's it. A lot of time working with the plumbing, very little drawing pretty pictures.
In reply to Martín Langhoff

by Eloy Lafuente (stronk7) -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Oh, that are really complex configurations...

Take a look to my configuration, simple but effective!

eMac, Keyboard, Mouse, 2 iPods and papers everywhere. cool

Then I talk with my smart computer and it does the job. And the 2 iPods are needed to get "hexaphonic" sound! big grin

Ciao smile
Attachment DSC02479.jpg
In reply to Eloy Lafuente (stronk7)

by Chardelle Busch -
Two iPods--boy are you spoiled. If you think that's papers everywhere you should see my desk--I'd be embarrased for anyone to see itblush! I just have an HP and that's it--I don't have any fun toys--guess I need to get some.

When I'm messing around with PHP I usually have Dreamweaver, and several tabs in Firefox open--then I hack away, upload, see if it worked, hack some more, upload, see if it worked. Not very sophisticated--but it works for the customization of things I like to do. I like using Dreamweaver because the code is color-coded and I can tell if I've messed something up.

When I'm creating my SCORM modules, I have Word, Dreamweaver, and Adobe open. And, of course, Outlook is always open so I can keep up to date on what's going on here.
In reply to Chardelle Busch

by Joyce Smith -
Ah,
but, I wonder what the floor looks like ??clown
In reply to Joyce Smith

by Eloy Lafuente (stronk7) -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
but, I wonder what the floor looks like ??

Full of papers. Just all those I moved away to take the photo! tongueout

Ciao smile

by Michael Penney -
Mostly I use DreamweaverMX 2004, though I hate what Macromedia has done to the interface in the latest version (the designer who thought of automatic docking panels should be sentenced to work on a 286 for the rest of their natural lives!)--I like being able to do everything in one application. That, Tortoise, and SSH Secure shell are my  main development tools. I also use Photoshop for graphics and BB Flashback for doing screen recordings. Itunes (mostly for podcasts).

Then, mostly I'm planning things now which Jeff, Mark, Michael, and now Rob do the coding for, so I use alot of recylced paper and pencils to plan interfaces, db structures, etc. Also I use OneNote on my XP tablet for this (which results in less paper clutter and can actually recognize enough of my handwriting to make my notes searchablecool.

I have Firefox, IE, Netscape for testing things, and a Mac accross the room for video capture, testing Safari, and making mp3s out of old tapes.

Mark and Jeff have started using Textmate on iMacs, which rumor has it will someday soon acutally bring a visual CVS client to OSX.

by John Papaioannou -
Nothing too fancy:
  • Firefox with several extensions (notably TabMix, WebDeveloper, Tidy)
  • UltraEdit-32/Win. I 've never had to do serious development on a *nix box, mainly because there was always just one computer and at least one of those had to run Windows wink. UE's direct (S)FTP editing is a massive timesaver if the sources you 're editing are on another box, I 've lost count of how many times this feature has made my life easier.
  • WinMerge for difficult diffing. wink
  • EasyPHP. It's so easy it's ridiculous. I 've made a few command line utilities to enhance it, e.g. allowing me to easily switch between PHP 4 and 5.
  • Command-line CVS and command-line grep whenever I need to find something in the source tree. After all these years, pure keyboard is still fastest.
  • Pageant from the Putty tools to authenticate with SourceForge invisibly, otherwise for each CVS command you get to type in the passphrase you protected your private key with. Yuck.
  • FooBar 2000 because I 'm always listening to music.

I have some screenshots with 20+ open tabs in Firefox and ~60 files open in UE (the tabs on the top were four rows deep), but I 'm exclusively using them to frighten small children.

Jon
In reply to John Papaioannou

by Wen Hao Chuang -
Uh.. no one is using NuSphere PhpED? I found it quite powerful when used it for debugging!