URL/Repositories Issue

URL/Repositories Issue

by Ralph Blakeslee -
Number of replies: 5

Hello All.

I have been atempting to use the "Choose a link" button when adding a URL.    When I do I get the following message in pop up window:

Sorry, none of your current repositories can return files in the required format.

I have to admit that I am still somewhat puzzeled by the whole repository thing.  

Many thanks, in advance.

Ralph

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Ralph Blakeslee

Re: URL/Repositories Issue

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi Ralf,

Which repositories do you have enabled on your site? I just tried adding a URL resource to a course on http://qa.moodle.net and had Flickr, YouTube, Wikimedia, Dropbox and Picasa listed as repositories in the file picker.

One thing to note is that the repositories listed in the file picker depend which ones have been enabled by the administrator and also on the context in which you access the file picker (from the documentation File picker).

In reply to Helen Foster

by Ralph Blakeslee -

Hello Helen!

I have the following repositories listed as "Enabled and visible" under the Manage repositories page:

• Server files
  • Recent files
  • Upload a file
  • Private files
  • File system

The File system repository has the following settings:

• 2 site-wide common instances
  • 2 course-wide common instances
  • 0 user private instances

I should have mentioned that I am using v 2.4.1 in my earlier post. 

I will review the File picker documentation more closely.  As I stated, it is the one aspect of the new Moodle (I have been a convert since v 1.5) that I can not seem to get my head around.

Many thanks

Ralph

In reply to Ralph Blakeslee

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi Ralph. If you are using the URL option then I think you need to have website-repositories like Flickr or Wikimedia enabled, as Helen suggests, because they are places you can "choose a link" from. If you want to display files from the repositories you mention in your post then you would select the "file" option.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Ralph Blakeslee -

Hi Mary,

Thanks.  I was able enable Wikimedia and that worked, so now I have a better understanding of that function. 

I think you are right, what I am really trying to do is use the File Resource, and I need to get my head around the whole Repository system.

What I am trying to do is upload zipped files which contain an e-book.  I also need to address the restrictions on upload file size restrictions.

Thanks for the direction.  I will keep pushing forward.

Ralph 

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Ralph Blakeslee -

Mary & Helen,

First, thanks for the help.  I tried using the file resouce rather then the url.  I uploaded my files (a group of files I use for the my e-book that is displayed using flash).  I succesfully use the file rescourse to find the index.hmtl file in the folider.  When I click on the file link in the classroom this is what I get:

I do have the flash player installed in the web browser (chrome).  Not sure what to make of this.

Regards,

Ralph