Tim, thanks for all of your feedback on the proposed Outcomes system! As Phill has stated, it is clearly a work that is still in progress. We have lots of ideas on how we could implement certain requirements, but nothing has been fully defined enough to share yet. We won't be breaking ground on development before the technical architecture has been drafted and generally agreed upon.
Our primary objective is to create a system that can be powerful enough to meet the demands of the most requested features, while remaining flexible for developers to extend and implement in their own creative ways. It is not our intention to define a white-list of plugins that can support Outcomes, and the way(s) in which they do so. While the specification may identify a specific use case for associating outcomes to quizzes and rubrics, our technical team will need to abstract that as a way to allow outcome association at a more granular level per module and advanced grading method, using quizzes and rubrics as a specific implementation example.
Let me also try to address the questions you've raised:
1. The DB schema will be part of the technical documentation. It makes more sense to me to hold off on it until we've addressed the requirements further, but we can craft something if that would be helpful for the conversation.
2. There's a balance that must be struck between creating new plugin types vs. the overhead of maintaining and configuring them. The 2 primary areas for plugins would be the reports (piggybacking off of the existing system) and the algorithm for marking whether a student has met the outcome (aka Streaks). There may be other areas that would be useful, and they will likely come out in discussion.
3. I would agree that Streaks should be a pluggable system - for those who attended, this would be the same system that we discussed during the Outcomes session at Hackfest. We need a little more definition around Risk Metrics to determine whether it should be pluggable system or can be addressed through configuration.
5. Obviously we'll defer to your judgement here, but couldn't we technically have both? From the feedback we have received, it's pretty critical that the outcome is associated with a question in isolation, but that could simply be used to facilitate the outcomes associated with the question in a particular quiz. I could see it being useful to allow the instructor to override that in some cases, preferably based on a capability to do so.
9. The new Outcomes system would operate independently from the Gradebook. I personally don't think it makes sense to mix Outcomes and Grades on the same report, especially since the Outcomes could be organized very differently in the new system. It's possible that the Outcome Marking plugin could create a bridge in some cases, but that still needs to be defined.