MoodleRoom's proposed Outcomes changes

Re: MoodleRoom's proposed Outcomes changes

by Davo Smith -
Number of replies: 3
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Just one more point to throw in to this discussion about outcomes.

When I was still teaching, I tried a few times to use outcomes to record marks for BTEC qualifications. These work by having a number of Pass (P1, P2, P3, etc.), Merit (M1, M2, etc.) and Distinction (D1, D2, etc.) marks across as many assignments as the college wants to provide for each unit. Each mark can appear in more than one assignmet (theoretically anyway, it rarely happens in practice), although each student can only gain each mark (P1, P2, M1, etc.) once for a unit.

To gain a 'pass' for a unit, the student needs all the pass marks for that unit. All the pass and merit marks are needed for a 'merit'. All the marks are required for a distinction. 

I found that using outcomes for this was very unwieldy, as you had a large number of 'outcomes' in each course (especially if each course contained multiple units, in which case they ended up as U5P1, U5P2, etc. for Unit 5 P1). Each outcome also only needed a grade of 'Yes' or 'No'. There was also no sensible way to gather these grades into an overall pass/merit/distinction for a unit.

It may well be that this use case is completely outside of anything that outcomes will ever sensibly address (and maybe there needs to be some different mechanism to support such 'exotic' marking schemes - some sort of 'yes / no' criteria, rather than graded outcomes).

In reply to Davo Smith

by Martin Matthews -

That's exactly how I use it Davo except that we only have one BTEC unit per Moodle course so it is more manageable.  However, it is still difficult to spot a final grade in a unit so your point is a good one. 

The point you made in passing about potentially a criterion appearing in more than one assignment is also a good one and might arise in at least two possible situations and I only thought of one originally:

1. when a criterion cannot be met in one assignment as I mentioned in my earlier post
  2. where a student might be given more than one opportunity at a criterion

The second may not normally occur but in the UK I see it in the near future.  We are moving towards each student having an individual learning plan which meets their particular needs.  This, in theory, would mean that a student could choose between a range of tasks to meet a criterion.  Any one of those outcomes met would mean they had also met the criterion.

Hope that made sense my current group is a bit loud!

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Martin Matthews

by Kris Stokking -

Martin/Davo - I wanted to follow up on the conversation around BTEC support.  Marcus Green created a BTEC advanced grading method (discussed here) that could be used in combination with BTEC Outcomes.  In this case, the relevant criteria for BTEC would be created within the advanced grading form and mapped to the corresponding Outcome.  The mapping could occur in more than one activity, which would handle when a student is given more than one attempt to satisfy a criterion.  A custom  BTEC recommendation plugin could assist instructors in marking the student's achivement of outcomes in the Instructor Student Completion Marking.  Once met, the student would carry the outcome achievement site-wide, and the data could be used for custom BTEC reporting if the out-of-box reports didn't satisfy your requirements.  The approach would only work for modules that support Advanced Grading Methods (currently only assignment), but certainly could be more useful as adoption for advanced grading increases.  

In reply to Davo Smith

by Kris Stokking -

Davo, the Outcomes system allows for a simple identification of Met or Not Met (yes/no) for a student against an outcome.  We've had overwhelming feedback that this simplification is needed instead of the current implementation that is tied to the gradebook and based on scales. In addition, the algorithm for calculation is left completely open ended - we'll develop our own implementation using a streaks algorithm, but that's just an example of one use case.  I'm not sure how you're using a Unit - is that equivalent to a course section (i.e. topic)?

If I understand you correctly, I would use a Rubric that contains a criterion associated for each of the relevant unit marks.  Each criterion would be associated with a P, M and D outcome.  The instructor would mark off whether the student received a P, M or D, and the algorithm would mark off each outcome as Met or Unmet depending on the algorithm.  It could do this even if the Outcome was used in different assignments or even courses (depending on how Units apply). 

This might give you extra information in an Outcomes report as it would show each Pass, Merit and Distinction outcome as either Met or Unmet instead of showing each outcome as Pass, Merit or Distinction.  However, you could probably customize the report in some way to get the information you need.