Installation help

Picture of derek popovich
MOODLE - error Your session has timed out. Please login again

Hello,

I need some help, I have been on this problem for 6 hours and nothing is working.

I have installed moodle 2.2.3

when I try to log in as administrator I get the "Your session has timed out.  Please login again" right away, and i enter my details and it seems to log in but I get the your are not log in page.

I have look in all the possible answers but can find a resolution.

I don't have a moodledata/sessions folder

I only have a / uploadata / folder with no sessions sub folder.

I have created a sessions folder in it, with permission 777 but i get the same error. I read on another forum that it could be expired headers but I have no idea how to check it or fix it.

Can someone please give me some steps to solve the problem.

Your help is appreciated,

Average of ratings: -
Picture of Ken Task
Re: MOODLE - error Your session has timed out. Please login again
Group Particularly helpful Moodlers

From the name of the 'moodledata' folder, looks like a scripted install on a remote/shared system.  In order to assist, disclose some more information: operating system, and shared hosting provider (check with them concerning your package).

'spirit of sharing', Ken

Hello Ken, 

The installation was done using fantastico de luxe - CPanel 1.0 (RC1)

PHP version 5.3.19

mysql version 5.1.66-cll

apache 2.2.23

disk usage for my/var directory is only 15%

disk usage for home directory is 61%

I don't know what server I am using, I have a crazy domain web hostin package - I am assuming that it is a linux server because my system is telling me that my disk is /dev/sda and I have only seen that in linux, but I am not 100% sure as i never used a windows server.

Like I mentioned before, as soon as i type the url and click on login - I get the session time out error, per the usage of my disk I have plenty of space to create the sessions.

Thak you

Picture of Ken Task

Moodle 2 is pretty hefty in the DB department.  Could be, since remotely hosted, that there is an issue (already) with Moodle being able to record sessions in the DB ... which is 2's default.

The reason you didn't see a sessions directory in the moodledata directory was due to config of Moodle.  It's still set to use DB.  Let's force Moodle to use disk based sessions.

Edit config.php and place the following line in it:

$CFG->dbsessions='0';

Then try to login.  You could watch the data folder/sessions folder to see if a new file is created ... that's your session information.

Also, check apache error logs as well as permissions/ownerships on all of the moodledata folder.  Also, check the permissions on the DB user inside MySQL.  Can user create records?  Probably best at this point to give that DB user permissions to do it all.  You might not be able to do that since remotely hosted.  Check your tools to see if you can.  If not, then check with provider.

'spirit  of sharing', Ken

Picture of Ken Task

Just thought of something else to check on client side ... browser allowing cookies?  Check browser cookies.

'spirit of sharing', Ken

Thank you Ken,

I have removed the fantastico installation and done it manually, it works.

I guess the Fantastico script is not design to check and make sure that the environment is set up to be able to run moodle. Not so fantastico, specially if some is new to all this, it will assume that because is is offer as a service by the hosting provider that it work 100%. (My assumption).

Sincerely,

Derek P

Picture of Ken Task

So much service provider and 'fantastico'.  I, personally, think that if the provider has such in their menu for customers, it should work ... PERIOD.  And customers should lodge a very polite complaint to that effect.

For others that might follow you, mind disclosing what provider so the next 'provider' customer pointed here for support (something the provider should also be providing) can find your experience and solution. ;)

'spirit of sharing', Ken