Quiz

Picture of Istvan Peto
Multiple choice import issue

Hello,

I generated multiple choice questions in GIFT format with giftmaker.xls. I found a really annoying issue: Import works perfectly when there are 2, 4, 5 etc correct answers but fails in case of 3 correct answers. As far as I see syntax is the same in every cases (see the attached example). How can I get rid of this issue?

Average of ratings: -
Picture of Joseph Rézeau
Re: Multiple choice import issue
Group DevelopersGroup Particularly helpful MoodlersGroup TestersGroup Translators

Hello Istvan,

You do not say, but from looking at the file you attached, I suppose you wanted to create  Multiple choice with multiple right answers questions. If you take a look at the GIFT documentation here, you will see that obviously the file created by your giftmaker.xls program does not respect the correct syntax for that question type.

I suggest you contact the author of that program to find out more.

Joseph

Picture of Istvan Peto
Tárgy: Re: Multiple choice import issue

Joseph,

thank your for your kind response. However, I can't find any serious difference between the documentation and my GIFT-file.  I cleaned up this file a little bit: removed the hashmarks and the blank answer-lines but it's still the same. I got one invalid grade message. I suppose it's because of the question with 3 correct answers since without this particular question everithing is OK.

Tim at Lone Pine Koala Sanctuary
Re: Tárgy: Re: Multiple choice import issue
Group DevelopersGroup Documentation writersGroup Particularly helpful Moodlers

When you do the import, there is an option 'Match grades'. Try the other setting.

Your files is using the very imprecise values 33% and 34%. Changing them to 33.33333% would work better.

Average of ratings:Useful (1)
Picture of Joseph Rézeau
Group DevelopersGroup Particularly helpful MoodlersGroup TestersGroup Translators

@Tim,

Using Moodle 2.4.

When trying to import the faulty GIFT file posted here by the OP, I received the following error message:

Invalid get_string() identifier: 'invalidgrade' or component 'question'. Perhaps you are missing$string['invalidgrade'] = ''; in lang/en/question.php?

The "invalidgrade" string is indeed missing from lang/en/question.php.

Joseph

Tim at Lone Pine Koala Sanctuary
Group DevelopersGroup Documentation writersGroup Particularly helpful Moodlers
Thanks Joseph. MDL-37599

Picture of Joseph Rézeau

Istvan,

You did not answer my question: are you actually trying to create Multiple choice with multiple right answers questions or "normal" Multiple choice questions with only ONE correct answer?

Picture of Istvan Peto
Tárgy: Re: Tárgy: Re: Multiple choice import issue

Joshep,

uhh, sorry, forgot to answer that. Yes, I'd like to create multiple choices with multiple right answers.

Tim,

thanks a lot. The much more precise rounding solved my problem, in case of 3 correct answers 33.33333% have to be used.

Regards,
Istvan