General help

Suddenly getting permission denied error when restoring courses

Picture of Troy Shimkus
Suddenly getting permission denied error when restoring courses

We've suddently been getting errors when trying to restore a course, we get all the way throught he process and the last step failes with:

Can not read file, either file does not exist or there are permission problems

Pointing to: http://docs.moodle.org/22/en/error/moodle/storedfilecannotread

Debugging returns:

Output buffer: Warning: copy(/home/moodledata/filedir/38/db/38db0fd979b2de2ab9369a883c6e1b4ac97ab6d9): failed to open stream: Permission denied in /var/www/html/lib/filestorage/file_storage.php on line 1132

I don't really know what would have caused this issue all of a sudden. To my knowledge nothing has been changed on the server.

Our existing moodledata folder has the following permissions:

drwxrws---  9 root   apache 4.0K Jan 18 04:30 moodledata
Folders inside moodledata are as:

drwxrwx---   7 root apache 4.0K Dec  5 10:56 cache
drwxrwx--- 258 root apache 4.0K Aug  6 14:20 filedir
drwxrwx---   4 root apache 4.0K Sep 22 10:13 filter
drwxrwx---   2 root apache 4.0K Aug  6 14:20 lang
drwxrwx---   3 root apache 4.0K Aug  6 14:20 repository
drwxrwx---  12 root apache 4.0K Sep  6 14:21 temp
drwxrws---  43 root apache 4.0K Jan 18 15:15 trashdir

The backup files are held in the repository/backups/to-restore folder which is an FTP repository that allows the manager to uplaod zip files

The file we are restoring is:

-rwxrwx--- 1 apache apache  30M Jan 18 09:47 CourseBackup1.zip

Any help tracing where the permission problem is coming from would be great.

Average of ratings: -
Picture of Troy Shimkus
Re: Suddenly getting permission denied error when restoring courses

So, just realzied that if I make a blank course, and restore the backup file into the course, it works fine.

Doesn't really help me find the problem yet - but at least we have a work around for now.

I Teach With Moodle
Group Testers

I've had a similar issue when using 'zip' in PHP but never using Moodle. Turns out it was to do with folders being owned by root:apache instead of apache:apache

I would suggest you try changing the ownership and see whether that makes a difference. 

Cheers 

Fred

Picture of Troy Shimkus

That is the direction I was leaning, I attemtped to change ownership of one of the folders that the debug message refrerenced, but nothing changed, same error.

I'm a little leery of chaning the ownership setup on the server as a whole in the middle of a semester, it's a mission crticial system, and I can't afford to bring it down if anything goes wrong.

I might try to do a backup of the system to a seperate server and see how that goes though.

THanks.