Programming with Eclipse

Re: Programming with Eclipse

by Dean Leggo -
Number of replies: 7

Thank you to everyone for the help. smile

I was following the instructions on the Moodle docs. Setting up Eclipse. Because I was not 100% sure on the programs they offered I went to the Eclipse Marketplace, searched 'php' and it gave me 68 results!

The whole Setting up Eclipse needs to be re-done.

• Installing plugins need to change to PDT
  • General and PHP Settings is for PHPeclipse
  • SSH2, CVS Settings and Checking out code has changed to Git

I'll firstly learn how Git works before I try to add it to Eclipse. Branches everywhere tongueout

I'll try re-writing the 'Installing plugins' section tomorrow. I don't know enough to write anything else.

In reply to Dean Leggo

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi Dean,

I've been using ECLIPSE for quite a few years now and find it quite user-friendly for developing PHP projects (local host under Windows). When Moodle was updatable through its CVS repository, I used to do my updates from within the ECLIPSE environment.

Now that Moodle has switched to a GITHUB repository, I no longer do my Moodle updates from ECLIPSE, because as far as I understand there is no stable GIT plugin available in ECLIPSE. Or there wasn't one last time I tried.

Joseph

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Joseph Rézeau

by David Bezemer -

An official plugin has already been released for Eclipse, available at http://www.eclipse.org/egit/

developed by GitHub and various other Eclipse pro's I havent had any issues with this plugin

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Dean Leggo

by Michael Aherne -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

You're right about that page. It used to be an extremely useful resource, but it has become quite out of date. I'd be happy to help to try to update it.

In reply to Michael Aherne

by Marcus Green -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

I prefer Netbeans to eclipse but I find that xdebug is wildly less stable under Netbeans. This appears to be true for both Windows and Ubuntu Linux.

MG

In reply to Dean Leggo

by Ankit Agarwal -

For git I normally use terminal, there is something called Egit for eclipse, but I prefer a terminal instead. If you want you can integrate a terminal window with your eclipse, by installing something called a "local terminal" plugin.

There are quite a few settings that you might need to tweak to get your editor ready (for example replace spaces instead of tabs for indenting lines) etc.  But personally I use Eclipse, and never had any issues with it.

I will also recomend increasing the default memory limits which are very low with most editors.

Thanks