Themes

Can't add customized themes in V.2.4

Picture of Dominique Echeverri
Can't add customized themes in V.2.4

Hello,

After upgrading my site to the newest 2.4 version, I noticed my previous themes disappearing.  I decided to take a V.2.4 theme and used my own logo on it.  I needed multiple versions of the theme so I decided to duplicate it, make the necessary name changes in the lang section, in config.php and then, using CPanel, I uploaded an archive of each theme with appropriate CHMOD 755 setting, uncompressed them .  I then whent to site setting, appearance, themes, theme settings, I freed the cache by clicking the appropriate button and... nothing... I tried so many times to check and recheck what I could have done wrong but Nothing.  The theme doesn't show up in the list of themes.

I am fed up and hoping that someone here can give me a hand.

Thank you so much...

Average of ratings: -
Picture of Richard Oelmann
Re: Can't add customized themes in V.2.4
Group DevelopersGroup Particularly helpful MoodlersGroup Testers

hi Dominique,

Depending on what moodle veersion your original themes were based on they may not be suitable for Moodle2 - for example of you upgraded from 1.9 then those themes are not compatible.

As far as creating multiple versions of your new theme - there can be many other places where the theme name needs to be changed, including the version.php. there are a number of tutorials at the top of the forum list which can help guide you.

However, you may also want to investigate using your main theme and then creating the multiple copies as very simple child themes which have very minor changes to the css - see mary's tutorial on cloning themes

Richard

It's only an avatar...
Group DevelopersGroup Documentation writersGroup Particularly helpful MoodlersGroup Testers

Hi Dominique,

First of all, can you see ANY theme in the theme selector page?

When you first upgraded you will see only ONE theme in the selector. This will be the Standard theme. At the side of that theme picture, the is a button that says Change theme. By clicking that button the full list of theme is shown to you. Can you see THIS list?

If not got to Theme settings and DISABLE the 'Detect Mobile Device', then please remember to SAVE your settings.

Now go back to the theme selector and all the themes available we be shown. 

If None of your OLD themes are there or the new one you uploaded are not there then.

1. your old themes must be Moodle 1.9 themes
  2. your newly added themes have not been installed correctly

As Richard poined out, Moodle 1.9 themes do not work in versions of Moodle 2.0+

With cPanel you need to recheck your themes' config.php files and these will have been altered. I had this problem myself the other day. That was the first time I had used cPanel to upload.  These do have a tendency to rewrite PHP for some reason. So please chack that the php files in thoes new themes are correct.

If you would like me to check your new themes for you then please send me a message containing a link to a ZIP file of the themes so that I can download it.

Thank you.

Mary

Mary and Richard, thank you so much for your prompt response.  The theme that I am using is taken from the Moodle theme repository adapted for version 2.4 (it's name is "Cover").  I uploaded the theme and yes, it did show up correctly amongst the other themes.  Seeing that it worked, I then proceeded at making 2 copies of this theme and made the appropriate adjustements regarding folder names, $theme names and changes to config.php .  And the issue then brought me, after many ours of doubt onmy  side, to conclude that I must be making a bsic misstake that is alluding me.

I checked to see if config.php was intact and not altered.  And no, everything is OK there.  I will delete these 2 copied themes and try my hand at it again.  I will post back again in a few moments with the results.

Thanks again for the prompt responses.  You guys are great.

Well, I tried it a second time.  Still nothing.  Mary, I would like to take you up on your gracious offer of having a look at the theme.  this is the link: http://www.barzalou.com/theme/TGJ20.zip

Thank you  

It's only an avatar...
Group DevelopersGroup Documentation writersGroup Particularly helpful MoodlersGroup Testers

The URL is not working did you add the correct name of the zip file?

Also I see you used TGJ20 is the the name of your theme? Did you use CAPITAL LETTERS?

Moodle requires you to use lowecase letters, so your theme names should have no capital letters. So TGJ20 should be tgj20

If that's the problem then you are nearly there! smile

Mary

Well Mary, you sorta hit the nail on the head.  Changing to lower case letters, it got Moodle to recognize the theme.  It then gave me tons of error messages in different php files making Function calls to parts of names that pointed to the original Theme.  Changing these names accordingly fixed the problem completely.

Thanks to Richard for the Link to Cloning a theme and Mary for the additional support.

Keep up your good work.

It's only an avatar...

Excellent! I can log out now! LOL

cheers