General help

(urgent) Error message: "The file ... has no data in it - did you try to upload a folder?"

Picture of Luciana Oliveira
(urgent) Error message: "The file ... has no data in it - did you try to upload a folder?"

Hi all!

We really nead help with this. Our Moodle 2.3.2 has been displaying this error message "The file ... has no data in it - did you try to upload a folder?".

It has no apparent cause. It happens randomly to any teacher or student. Sometimes Moodle allows you to upload 3 or 4 files before displaying the error, other time the error displays in the first file that you try to upload and then you cannot upload anything else OR sometimes if you are persistant Moodle will accept the file after a few tries. I can assure that the files are not empty. This is applicable to drag-and-drop upload or regular upload method.

This is causing our school A TON of constraints. Can anyone please help identifying the possible source of the problem?

Average of ratings: -
Picture of Howard Miller
Re: (urgent) Error message: "The file ... has no data in it - did you try to upload a folder?"
Group DevelopersGroup Documentation writersGroup Particularly helpful Moodlers

Is the file bigger than your file upload limit (or very close to it)?

Picture of Luciana Oliveira
Re: (urgent) Error message: "The file ... has no data in it - did you try to upload a folder?"

Hi Howard! Thank you for your answer. No, my upload limit us 100Mb and I'vee been having problems with 54Kb files..

Picture of Howard Miller
Group DevelopersGroup Documentation writersGroup Particularly helpful Moodlers

Ok... the next step is to turn on Debugging. Watch out for additional error messages when you have the problem. You will also need to check your web server error log for notices when this happens.

Let us know how you get on.

Picture of Helen Foster
Group DevelopersGroup Documentation writersGroup Moodle HQGroup Particularly helpful MoodlersGroup Testers

Hi Luciana,

I came across another discussion about this error message: After upgrade 1.9 - > 2.2 -> 2.3.1 - upload problem. Hopefully the solution can help you. Please let us know how you get on.

Average of ratings:Useful (1)