General help

Moodler
audio & video

How do you handle audio and video for your moodle courses. Do you place the files on the moodle server or do you have an outside source to handle the delivery?  We are using a streaming media server but we need to buy a replacement, so I was just wondering if there was a better way.

Thanks for your input.

Doris

Average of ratings: -
Picture of Howard Miller
Re: audio & video
Group DevelopersGroup Documentation writersGroup Particularly helpful Moodlers

Both. Small files can happily live within Moodle and bigger ones elsewhere. You might want to have a think about Repositories within Moodle.

Streaming servers are possibly a bit old fashioned unless you have very specific requirements. All decent audio/video formats stream themselves (the proper term has dropped out of my head) so it kind of becomes a file storage/administration issue more than anything.

Picture of Rick Jerz
Group Particularly helpful Moodlers

I have my videos on a low cost hosted server.  These are mpeg4's.  I then create a RSS feed for most of my videos, which I then feed to iTunes, Moodle, and my own Flash player.  Here's an example of my Flash Player for Moodle.

Most of my course resources are on my own web server (VPS).  I then link to these from within Moodle.  Seems to work well for me.

With this approach, I can get my videos to almost any device, and they play (and stream).  Realize that I have only 50-100 students in any one semester.

Some of my quick and dirty administrative servers I move to my VPS, but I like to use my VPS for primarily Moodle and my webpages (see www.rjerz.com).

Hope that this helps you.

Picture of Justin Hunt
Group Particularly helpful Moodlers

We host it all in Moodle but I think it depends on how much video/audio and how many students accessing it at peak times. Streaming servers are good for long a/v, and for when students may need to leap forward (and back) over that audio. But generally file based streaming (progressive download is the term) is adequate for most cases.

It is also worth looking at hosting Video in a Vimeo Plus account  and audio in SoundCloud, if your Moodle sites are accessed over the internet.

Picture of Howard Miller
Group DevelopersGroup Documentation writersGroup Particularly helpful Moodlers

"progressive download" - yes, mental blank.

I think it covers 99% of situations. Also +1 for 'cloud' based hosting. You can save yourself a mountain of trouble if you are able to stick your stuff on YouTube. I appreciate that intelectual property considerations may prevent this.

Gordon McLeod

Our staff & students have been making increasing use of YouTube for both Moode & Mahara. My advice to them is always to set the file as unlisted so that users can't find it just by randomly searching google or youtube. You can alternatively set things as private - but that's more of a pain eg setting up passwords that must be used before people can view the content.

I'm also currently testing linking SoundCloud as a repository for Moodle & Mahara for use with audio files.

Regards, Gordon.