Showing a Moodle news article on an html page

Showing a Moodle news article on an html page

by Nuno Pinto -
Number of replies: 4

Hello everyone,

I'm currently at a company as a moodle-admin-trainee, learning all the Moodle's bells and whistles in order for the company to have in-house knowledge of this software, knowledge which was previously out-sourced.

This means I'm inheriting allot of code and work from people that might not have the same standards as me.

On our projects, we use a custom Moodle 2.4 theme which has a guest-only landing page, in which no courses or news are shown, only a login windows. It's very simple and basic html, on which the news system was updated manually. I wanted to make these updates automatic. Meaning when a editing teacher posted a news, with calendars or some sort of important enrollment news, it would show on this html page as well as have files showcased accessed directly, with no login required.

Is this even possible? If so, could someone help me or direct me to some sort of documentation or example? I've searched and have found nothing alike.

Thank you for your time,

Regards,

Nuno Pinto

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Nuno Pinto

Re: Showing a Moodle news article on an html page

by Richard Oelmann -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Forums and news feeds can be 'published' as an RSS feed - could your html landing page then include an RSS display of the news feeds?

Alternatively, just use the frontpage.php to design the landing page the way you want it - this can include a login block (its usually there as part of the header anyway, so could just be redesigned to match what you want it to look like using CSS) and you then have the option of what to show logged in/not logged in users on the front page, including the site news.

HTH

Richard

In reply to Richard Oelmann

by Nuno Pinto -

I'm going to try using the RSS feed solution.

Thanks,

Nuno Pinto

In reply to Nuno Pinto

by Mary Evans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi Nuno,

What I think you may prefer to do is return your Moodle settings to the normal way people view Moodle, which show your Frontpage with Site news and some navigation, depending on what you want your guests to see, but also allows your users to login.

The Force login setting I am talking about is found in...

Settings > Site Administration > Security > Site policies

Once the setting for Force login is disabled, everyone can see the Frontpage of your site before they login. You can now set the Frontpage up so that you only have Site News for before login and whatever you want your loggedin users to see after they login, which (in your company website's case) should not need to change.

To change Frontpage settings go to...

Settings > Frontpage settings > Edit settings

Here is a You-Tube video which explains how to set up the frontpage.

Hope this helps?

Mary

In reply to Mary Evans

by Nuno Pinto -

Thanks for the reply,

My first idea was "make everything from scratch" with the standard moodle frontpage as default. However, the clients are used to this interface and like it as it is.

With the suggestion of using an RSS feed to display news, I've found tons of posts with sollutions on how to implement it.

Right now I'm experimenting.

Thanks.

NP