2.3 Lesson Not picking up minimum number of questions

2.3 Lesson Not picking up minimum number of questions

by Paula Clough -
Number of replies: 4

We have just upgraded from 2.2 to 2.3.  We have found that a lesson with a minimum of 10 questions set is not looking at the 10 as a full minimum. If a student goes to the end of the lesson without finishing it gives him a grade based on the number of questions he actually completed.  In this case 1/1 as one was an essay question not yet edited.  The grade book is giving him a score of 100% though he only completed 1 question.  I did another with 3/5 and got 60%.  Is there something different that we are missing?

Attachment lesson end you should.png
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Paula Clough

Re: 2.3 Lesson Not picking up minimum number of questions

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi Paula,

Sorry but I'm finding your explanations rather confusing.

1.- I do not think upgrading from 2.2 to 2.3 is the cause of your problem.

2.- "We have found that a lesson with a minimum of 10 questions set is not looking at the 10 as a full minimum." Sorry I do not understand what you mean by "looking at the 10 as a full minimum".

3.- "If a student goes to the end of the lesson without finishing it gives him a grade based on the number of questions he actually completed." How exactly does a student "go to the end of a lesson withoug finishing it"?

Please describe a step-by-step scenario which we can reproduce, and, of course, provide the full details of your lesson settings.

Joseph

In reply to Joseph Rézeau

by Paula Clough -

Sorry my explanation is confusing.  I will try to explain better.

This problem was not  a reported problem before we upgraded two weeks ago.  This teacher has used these same lessons before with a great deal of success. She sets up her lessons so that the minimum of 10 questions is on the setting page for the lessons. Previously when she did this the lesson would figure the grade for the lesson based on the student's score of those correct against the number 10 as the minimum they must answer.  If they only answered 5 and got them correct, they would get 50%.  The lesson does have a table of contents in it (left menu).  The students can go to that and go to another page if they want and then go to the end of the lesson.  She leaves the table of contents in as the students use the lesson as reference material in the course to go back and look up information they may have forgotten. If the student skips pages not answering all the questions and going to the end of the lesson, it will warn that only 5 out of 10 have been answered but the grade now shows as 100% (5 out of 5) instead of 50% (5 out of 10).

Lesson settings are attached.

I hope that is more understandable. Let me know if you have anymore quetions.

Thanks for your help,

Paula cool

Attachment lesson settings for help.png
In reply to Paula Clough

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi Paula,

Thanks for your explanations. I have discovered the Lesson Settings "Minimum number of questions" setting which I had never ever used in all my years of using Moodle!

Since the "left menu" gets displayed, I infer that your teacher's lesson contains a certain number of so-called "Content pages".

Your problem comes from the fact that you cannot have a lesson with a "Minimum number of questions" setting and containing "Content pages". This is clearly stated in the "Minimum number of questions" setting online help:

Minimum number of questions

This setting specifies the minimum number of questions that will be used to calculate a grade for the activity. If the lesson contains one or more content pages, the minimum number of questions should be set to zero.

I am quite surprised that your teacher says that the combination of those 2 features did work in an earlier version of Moodle.

Joseph

In reply to Joseph Rézeau

by Paula Clough -

Thanks so much for the information, Joseph. Yes she does have both content and question pages.  I hadn't seen that line in the documentation. I will send it on to the instructor.

Paula cool