General developer forum

Picture of Yong Ra
Block or Theme

Does anyone know of any block or theme what will show unread postings in the forum on the login screen?

I know there is a way when I enter the course and it will show me if there is any unread posting.

I would like to find out if there is a block on theme that shows unread posting as soon as you login with out going into each course.

Thank you.

Average of ratings: -
Picture of Carina Martinez
Re: Block or Theme
Group Testers

Hi Yong,

If you set "enabled" for field "Read tracking for this forum?" of a forum, participants can track read and unread messages in the forum and in discussions, It shows this track in the list of courses at their personal areas, before accessing the course, and before they see a particular discussion.
I hope this can help you.

Picture of Jitendra Gaur

Hi Yong,

I have created a new block (my unread forum posts) as per the your requirement. I have tested it with moodle 2.2 and moodle 2.3

Take a look at it. If you want to suggest any changes update me.

I have also submited this block to moodle.org.

Thanks 

Picture of Yong Ra

Cool, I will give it a try. Thank you.

Picture of Yong Ra

It works great. I am using latest version of 2.4+. One suggestion I have is, it

would be nice if the course title is listed as well. That way they can see where

the forum is from. But, as it is, it seems to work perfectly and exactly what I

was looking for. I hope it makes to the plugin section. It is a great block.

Picture of Jitendra Gaur

Thanks.

I have updated the block code as per your suggestion.

I have added course title (fullname) with course name separator(which can be choose from block setting).

I have added styles.css and you can edit this style as per your requirement.

Download latest copy of code from this url - 

https://github.com/jitendragaur/moodle_block_my_unread_forum_posts

Thanks.

Picture of Sami Hwang

Hey Jitendra,

You did an awesome job.

I think my boss wants me to be a person like you who knows how to create local plugin and make heavy customization on Moodle.

That being said, can I ask one thing? What is the best way to become a developer for Moodle like you? I do know HTML, CSS, JavaScript, and basic PHP stuffs. But if my boss asks me to create a certain additional function on Moodle, I dont know where to start.

Could you share your advice, experience, tips or any resources to learn the skills you have?

Sami

Picture of Jitendra Gaur

Thanks,

To start the moodle development best place is moodle documentation, find the specific API (http://docs.moodle.org/dev/Core_APIs)  and look at already created plugin.

Learn from others code and create your custom code.

Thanks & Regards,

Jitendra Gaur