Linking Quizzes to Lessons

Linking Quizzes to Lessons

by Ed Perry -
Number of replies: 13

I'm using Moodle 2.4 stable, and I'm running into an issue that I think Hotpot or Quizport might solve. I have each lesson within a course linked directly to a quiz, but I would like for there to be a link at the end of the quiz to take you directly to the next lesson and a link to go back to the course overview. I have been researching, and the closest thing I can find is to include a link in the feedback to the quiz, but when my site goes live, it will be moved to a different URL within the company, and that would break any manually created links, so I don't think that would work for me. 

Can anyone offer any insight into what I need to do and how to do it?

Thanks in advance! -ed

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Ed Perry

Re: Linking Quizzes to Lessons

by Gordon Bateson -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Ed,
your proposal to put the links at the end of the quiz (in the HotPot module you can put them in the "Exit page"), sounds fine. If you use the full URLs, i.e. starting with "http://", then I think the backup and restore is smart enough to convert those to what they need to be when you restore the activity to a new course, perhaps even on a different Moodle site.

I suggest therefore the you try a simple sample, and see if the URLs in the links are converted as you require when you restore.

Please let us know how you get on.

regards
Gordon

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Gordon Bateson

by Ed Perry -

Thanks, Gordon. I will give that a go and let you know what comes of it.

Best,
 ep

In reply to Ed Perry

by Ed Perry -

How do I take quizzes that are already in Moodle and add them to a Hotpot? Do they need to be imported into HotPotatoes first? If so, how would one do that? I'm searching the help in Hot Potatoes and coming up empty handed.

In reply to Ed Perry

by Glenys Hanson -

Hi Ed,

It's the first time I've heard of someone wanting to do this. Why do you want to transfer them from, I assume the Moodle Quiz Module, to Hot Potatoes? Your students can do the quizzes in Quiz, can't they?

I know of people who do the opposite: they make their questions in Hot Potatoes because it's easier and then important them into Quiz because it's better for testing than Hot Potatoes.

But maybe I don't understand what you mean by "quizzes".

Cheers,

Glenys

In reply to Glenys Hanson

by Ed Perry -

Glenys-

All of my quizzes have already been created in Respondus (http://www.respondus.com/) and then uploaded to Moodle directly from Respondus. The HotPot module will not accept files that do not come from Hot Potatoes. I would have to manually re-create all of my quizzes.

In reply to Ed Perry

by Gordon Bateson -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Ed,
apologies if I am stating the obvious, but are you aware that Hot Potatoes quizzes are created outside of Moodle in separate software that runs on your PC? That software is called "Hot Potatoes" and you can download it from the here.

The "Hot Potatoes" software creates files, which you upload to you Moodle and add as HotPot activities to your Moodle course.

Creating HotPot activities automatically from questions in the Moodle question bank, which I think is what your question is asking about, is theoretically possible, but neither the HotPot module nor the Moodle Quiz module currently offer that functionality.

Therefore, to get started, I suggest you download Hot Potatoes to your PC and create a few Hot Potatoes quizzes there. Then, you can begin uploading them to Moodle and adding them as HotPot activities.

regards
Gordon

by Ed Perry -

Gordon-

See my above response to Glenys. All of my quizzes were pre-made in Respondus, and now I need the functionality of being able to link a quiz to the next lesson in the course, but that requires HotPot, and I would have to re-make every quiz in Hot Potatoes to be able to add to HotPot. 

I'm looking for a way to convert quizzes that are already created so that I don't have to go through the painfully long process of re-doing every quiz in my Moodle courses.

In reply to Ed Perry

by Gordon Bateson -

As far as I know there is no way to import Respondus activities into Moodle. We could think about doing it with the HotPot or TaskChain modules, but that would require adding extra functionality to those modules.

I need the functionality of being able to link a quiz
to the next lesson in the course, but that requires HotPot

The terminology is confusing for me here, but requiring HotPot to link a (Respondus) quiz and a "lesson" sounds like you are not quite clear about how the HotPot works and what it can "link".

The "conditional activities" functionality of Moodle 2.x may offer what you are looking for:

regards
Gordon

by Ed Perry -

Hi Gordon-

Thanks for the quick response. Let mm try to clarify. Respondus makes Moodle Quizzes outside of Moodle on the desktop application. I can upload them to moodle directly from the software. The problem is not using them in Moodle, but rather using them in in HotPot, because it will only accept quizzes that were made using Hot Potatoes. 

My goal is that when a student finishes a quiz, they are presented with the correct feedback, and then instead of the "re-attempt quiz" button, they are present with a button or hyperlink to the next activity (A lesson or another exam). 

When I said "link a quiz to the next lesson" I meant that there was some kind of button or hyperlink that took the student directly to the next activity instead of having to navigate back to the course overview page.

I'm using conditional activities to restrict access to the next activity until the previous activity is marked complete (lesson) or complete with a pass grade (quiz).

I hope that makes it more clear. Thanks again for your time.

In reply to Ed Perry

by Geoffrey Lee-Dadswell -

Thanks for this thread.  It led me to the possibility of linking lessons to other activities, which I hadn't noticed before.  I'll definitely use that.

Currently you can only link from the end of a lesson to another activity.  It would be nice to be able to link from the middle of an activity to something else and then have a link from that activity that brings you back into the lesson.  I realize this is far from simple.  The reason I think this would be useful is that I've struggled with the limitations of the questions within lessons compared with what can be done with them in the quiz activity (just as a simple example, you can do cloze type questions in a quiz, but not in a lesson).  Also, there are lots of powerful plugins for the quiz activities, which I'm only starting to explore, but seemingly no plugins for lessons.  So it would be nice to be able to get access to the flexibility of the quizzes from within the structure of a lesson.

In reply to Geoffrey Lee-Dadswell

by Gordon Bateson -

I think there could be some confusion of terminology here regarding the word "lesson".

I understood from earlier posts by Ed Perry that he was talking about a "lesson" as defined and generated by Respondus quiz authoring software.

However, it seems that you, Geoffrey, are talking about a Moodle Lesson activity. If you have questions or suggestions about the Lesson activity you may find that people on the Lesson forum are more able to listen and help than the people here, on the HotPot forum.