MySQLi error during installation

MySQLi error during installation

by Eileen McGurty -
Number of replies: 7

i am having trouble connecting to the database in the third step of the install.  the error message is:

Warning: mysqli::mysqli() [mysqli.mysqli]: (28000/1045): Access denied for user 'eileen'@'localhost' (using password: YES) in /home/osbmzikj/public_html/moodle/moodle/lib/dml/mysqli_native_moodle_database.php on line 76 

i have created the database and user and password several times so i know that there are no errors there.

i opened the file but since i have no idea what any of it means, i have no way of knowing what is wrong with line 76.  i don't even know which one is line 76 (as in where do you start counting!).  i thought moodle installation didn't require programming abilities which is why i am trying it.

anyway, i am attaching the file here.  any one know what i have to change?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Eileen McGurty

Re: MySQLi error during installation

by Yusuf Abdi -

Hi Eileen,

We need a bit more information on your environment:

-Version of MySQL
-Database character set latin or utf-8
-What is the operating system (Linux or Windows)
-Are you using a hosted plan if yes, who is your hosting company?
-Are you using CPanel interface and fantastico?

In reply to Yusuf Abdi

by Eileen McGurty -

Hi Yusuf -

1. MySQL 5.1.66

2. database character - not sure how to find this out

3. i am using MacOSX

4.  Total Choice Hosting

5. CPanel

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

That message is usually true. The GRANT command for setting up the database user must have a mistake. Something like..

GRANT ...... on moodle.* to eileen@localhost identified by 'yourpassword';

The bits that matter are 'eileen', 'localhost' and 'yourpassword'. One of them is probably wrong.

In reply to Howard Miller

by Eileen McGurty -

Howard - I just redid the whole thing again - for the millionth time!  i am sure i have the correct info localhost, user, password.  very frustrating!

i started over again  from scratch - download the zip file, upload to cpanel, etc... same error message.

by Ken Task -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

Pardon intrusion into this discussion, but since you are using Mac and the remote hosting package is more than likely linux, why are you downloading the .zip?  Would think the more appropriate would be the .tar.gz (it's not only packaged for 'linux flavored' platforms, it's smaller).

In your CPanel, there should be a tool for working with DB's - phpmyadmin.  Can you interact with the DB for Moodle using that tool using the same db user and db password as during Moodle install?  Does that user have the ability to create temporary tables?  (there is a tool in phpmyadmin for users ... check).

And, I wonder about the hosting provider being able to support a Moodle version 2 ... from their FAQ page (which I hope is in need of updating):

What servers do you run?

Dual 2.4GHz Intel Xeons, Red Hat Linux 7.3 and 9.0, 512 - 2048 MB of Ram

https://www.totalchoicehosting.com/faqs.html

On this page:

https://www.totalchoicehosting.com/faq/support-tools-scripts.html

they describe how customers can upload a phpinfo page.  Suggest doing that with your account.

This example page they provide:

https://www.totalchoicehosting.com/faq/phpinfo.php

Indicates php version 5.2.17

Moodle => 2.2.7 Requires: PHP 5.3.2

Could run a 1.9, however - at least until Dec. 2013.

'spirit of sharing', Ken

by Yusuf Abdi -

Did you do Howard's suggestion of running grant command? It seems the installation is failing based on that.

How are you creating the MySQL moodle database? Can you use PHPMyAdmin tool to create the database and grant access to the moodle user account? Make sure that you select 'UTF8' as the default character set since that's the recommendation.  Finally, make sure to not have CAPS lock on when creating username and password as MySQL uses case sensitive username and passwords.

Did you reach out Total Choice Hosting support? Sometimes they can assist you faster that way. 

In reply to Yusuf Abdi

by Eileen McGurty -

i think it may have to do with the PHP version.  I changed hosts and am in the process of transfering my domain.  I decided to use Site5 because they have the 1 click install for Moodle 2.4.1  

As soon as I get my domain transfered, I will let you know how it goes.  When I contacted Total Choice Hosting about the PHP version and the possibility of supporting Moodle 2.4.1, the support person knew less than I did, which means negative knowledge! smile  That is when I knew I had to jump ship.