General developer forum

Can we have AJAX by user back?

Picture of Bob Puffer
Can we have AJAX by user back?
Group Particularly helpful MoodlersGroup Testers

RIght now its either AJAX on or off for the site, or just for all courses (which essentially is for the site).  Back in the days when we had AJAX settings by user we used a "Quicksets" block so the user could turn AJAX off when it wasn't working (most of the time) and turn it back on when they really needed it, like moving a section twelve places.  

My experience with AJAX right now using FF and Chrome, latest releases is AWEFULL (wish I could politely put more 'LLLs' in that word).  After ten attempts I might be successful moving a label that contains only a graphic, or it might take me more or I might end up re-creating it because it JUST WON'T STAY PUT.  Same thing with blocks only worse.  If you watched how often AJAX actually successfully fires, you'd want to turn it off most of the time too.

Average of ratings: -
Dan at desk in Moodle HQ, Perth
Re: Can we have AJAX by user back?
Group DevelopersGroup Moodle Course Creator Certificate holdersGroup Moodle HQGroup Particularly helpful MoodlersGroup Testers

Hi Bob,

Disappointed to hear you are finding the 'ajax' awful, it'd be good if we could resolve the problems you are finding.

I think it was awful that the setting was meaningless and not applied consistently.

There is an issue open to restore this setting in some form here: MDL-35993

I personally do not think that 'AJAX' is the right setting because throughout moodle want to make it into a slicker more modern interface which works for all users (accessibility etc) using 'ajax'. (e.g. do we disable the filepicker too?) Having a switch for all settings would mean it would need to be applied for everything. I setting for drag and drop might make sense.

Average of ratings:Useful (1)
Picture of Bob Puffer
Re: Can we have AJAX by user back?
Group Particularly helpful MoodlersGroup Testers

I appreciate your response, Dan.  Unfortunately, if we're not given another option to disable dragging and dropping of the biggest problems:

the only option left is to disable AJAX throughout the site which really makes Moodle look and act archaic.

Don't know if you've tuned into this thread:

https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=219604

Average of ratings: -