General help

Picture of Colin Day
'Settings' pages not displaying

Dear all,

Using moodle 2.4.0 (I believe as haven't upgraded to 2.4.1 yet).

I recently have been having problems displaying any of the 'Settings' pages on my site. I use a 'cheap hosting' option as at the moment I'm just learning moodle for my own purposes before putting any real courses 'Live'.

When I click various 'Settings' pages (Front Page Settings, Notifications, Course Default Settings etc) I get a completely blank page.

I've tried this with IE9, IE8, Firefox and Chrome with the same result every time, a blank page. Occasionally I can 'reload' the page and it works, but not always.

Some of the .php pages work however (Login, Add Courses etc) but then within these sections some pages fail.

I've installed a seperate version of the moodle so in effect the server is hosting two seperate moodles (moodle and moodle2) but I get the same effect with both of them.

Can anyone suggest what is going on? I'm guessing it is a server problem? But I'm not sure. I have zero experience with .php (or any other language to be fair) and really could do with some help.

I'm very happy for you to have the admin login details for the site to see if it does the same for you. Feel free to email me at col@daisylearning.co.uk for details.

I look forward to your help and my continued journey with Moodle!

Average of ratings:Useful (1)
Picture of Colin Day
Re: 'Settings' pages not displaying

I've also noticed that I cannot delete courses at all.

I go through the delete course process and get the screen that shows everything has been deleted, but when I go back to the course categories, the course is still showing in the list of available courses.

Help, this is driving me mad!

Average of ratings: -
Picture of Colin Day

Hi all.

I changed a few settings in my php.ini file, specifically memory limit (changed to 64M), apc.shm_size (changed to 32M) and apc.localcache.size (changed to 2048 (from 512!))

Hosts then restarted apache and mySQL on my install and it's all working lovely again.

Picture of Allan Leitner

I am having the same problem. I'm on 1and1 and I'm not sure how I would be able to get things restarted but can you outline what the the text in your php.ini file looks like? So far mine looks like this:

php.ini
-------
memory_limit = 128M
cgi.fix_pathinfo=1
mysql.default_socket = /tmp/mysql5.sock

Picture of Allan Leitner

It must have just been the memory limit on my hosting provider because when I upgraded it solved my issues.