Feedback

Picture of Hartmut Scherer
No email notifications when feedback is set to separate groups (M2.2)
Group Particularly helpful Moodlers

Hi all,

I tried to use the Feedback module for online registration, had groups with just one student in each group and put all of these groups into one grouping. In Feedback option of the Feedback activity, I set:

Record user names = User names will be logged and shown with answers
Show analysis page after submit = yes
Send e-mail notification = yes
Multiple submissions = yes
Automated numbers = no

Common module settings are:
Group mode = separate groups
Grouping = Name of the Grouping
Available for group members only = checked
Visible = show

The registrar (teacher role in this class) doesn’t receive any email notification, regardless whether she is part of the grouping or not. Today I checked the permission of the teacher role in this course and received the following error message:
Coding error detected, it must be fixed by a programmer: moodle_database::get_in_or_equal() does not accept empty arrays

Any help is highly appreciated.

With kind regards,
Hartmut

Average of ratings:Useful (1)
Picture of David Weeks
Re: No email notifications when feedback is set to separate groups (M2.2)

Do you have the email notifcation turned off in a system role possibly?

Average of ratings: -

Hi David,

Thank you for your reply. I set up another feedback activity, this time without groups and received the email notification. I also checked the permissions of the system roles for teachers and course creators. All are enabled for emails.

Is anyone able to explain the error message in my initial post?

With kind regards,

Hartmut

Picture of Andreas Grabs
Group DevelopersGroup Particularly helpful MoodlersGroup Translators

Hi Hartmut,

can you switch on the debugmodus? Then you will get a more detailed error message.
By the way what moodle version exactly do you use?

If you don't have much feedback and you have no problem to recreate the feedbacks then you could delete the feedback module from the activities and install it again. Note: in that case all instances will be vanished.

Best regards
Andreas

Hi Andreas,

Thank you for your reply and your suggestions. Our Moodle version is Moodle 2.2+ (Build: 20111223). I switched debug modus on. Here are the lines.

• line 595 of /lib/dml/moodle_database.php: coding_exception thrown
  • line 6410 of /lib/accesslib.php: call to moodle_database->get_in_or_equal()
  • line 7161 of /lib/accesslib.php: call to context_module->get_capabilities()
  • line 69 of /admin/roles/lib.php: call to fetch_context_capabilities()
  • line 261 of /admin/roles/lib.php: call to capability_table_base->__construct()
  • line 191 of /admin/roles/permissions.php: call to permissions_table->__construct()
 Your suggestion to uninstall the Feedback module and replace it with a newer version sounds interesting. I never did this before.
Can I download and unzip the latest Moodle version, zip the Feedback module and upload this as a replacement of the current Feedback module? Is the latest Feedback module compatible with our installed Moodle version? Is there a version control for activities? Before I do this, I would compress the current Feedback module.

Thanks for all considerations.
With kind regards,
Hartmut

Picture of Andreas Grabs

Hi Hartmuth,

you must not install a newer version!!!

What I mean was just to reinstall the same version

Best regards Andreas

Hi Andreas,

Thanks for the information. As I have 128 instances of the Feedback activity, it will take too long to replace all of them. At a later time I may try it out on a different Moodle installation. 

I am still interested to know whether separate groups and email notification works with the current Moodle version.

With kind regards,

Hartmut

Picture of Andreas Grabs

Hi Hartmut,

definitely yes.
You have to ensure that the trainer is in the same group as the student who submits the feedback.
The trainer has to have activated the messaging for feedback in his messaging settings.

Best regards
Andreas

H Andreas,

The teacher role still doesn't receive email notifications when separate groups are selected. I tried this at the demo site Mount Orange School.

Using Softaculous, I set up a fresh Moodle installation with Moodle 2.4 (Build 20121203). The teacher, which I added to the grouping "Individual Students" did not receive email notifications when the group mode was set to "separate," but the teacher received email notifications when the group mode switched to "visible." 

I will send you the login details to the test site as a message so that you can check what I did wrong. I am still curious to find out what else needs to change for the teacher role when the same Feedback activity switches from visible groups to separate groups with email notifications enabled and the teacher is within the same grouping.

With kind regards,

Hartmut

Picture of Andreas Grabs

Hi Hartmut,

I looked at your installation. The reason is simple.
You have one group for students and one group for teachers.
Your students are in their group and the teachers are in their group.
But the teachers are not in the students group. If you have separated groups so the teachers can not receive a message from another group than a group where they are assigned to. That's the sense of separated groups.
You have put both groups into the one single grouping but that isn't the same. A grouping does not merge groups. It is just a defninition of an amount of groups. You can use groupings to control the visibility of course activities. But separated groups are left separated.

In a single sentence: To solve your problem you have to assign the teachers to the students group. That's all smile.

Best regards
Andreas

Hi Andreas,

Thank you for having a look at the test site and for your long answer. You wrote that the mode "separate groups" restricts the teachers. This puzzles me. So far I understood that the group mode controls what the students are able to see or do, not the teacher. The teacher role will see all students in that particular activity regardless of the setting of the group mode. This is what I experience in the Assignment, Database and Forum module.

What does the capability "Access all groups" of a teacher role change in the Feedback module when it is set to allow?

Thanks for your patience, Andreas. I am not in a hurry, just curious to find out how to set up the Feedback activity for online registrations.

With kind regards,

Hartmut

Picture of Andreas Grabs

Hi Hartmut,

in my point of view it works as it should. The capability "Access all groups" means "access" and not "receive messages". If it would also mean "receive messages" so any admin or manager would receive messages from all feedback submissions on the whole site.
With groups you have a tool you can control of what part you want to get messages.

For example: You have a course with four teachers. Each teacher coaches one group in parts of the course. In fact these teachers only want to receive messages from the own group and not from all.

Best regards
Andreas

Average of ratings:Useful (1)

Hi Andreas,

Thank you for your reply and for the example. I also understand that “Access all groups,” the default capability for teachers which is set to allow, means access to all groups in the context they are assigned to. In a course context any user with a teacher capability will have access to all groups in this particular course by default.

The Groups FAQ deal with the question of having more than one teacher in a course like in your example. Under “How do I restrict a teacher to view only information about the groups that they are in?” they confirm that all teacher roles in this course will have access to all groups unless the default capability of “Access all groups” is changed.

(this is not in the documentation) If I want to restrict access of a teacher to his own group with separate group mode enabled, I need to change “Access all groups” from “Allow” to either “Not set” or “Prevent” in permissions on a course level, not a system level. On an activity level I need to locally assign the role of a non-editing teacher to the teacher in a particular group activity because “the non-editing teacher can only see the groups of which they are a member” (Groups FAQ).

If email notification and separate groups are enabled in the Feedback activity of a course with a locally assigned non-editing teacher to the activity of his group, why does this non-editing teacher not receive emails? The non-editing teacher is not in any group, only assigned to the activity of his group. If I change the same Feedback activity to visible groups, the non-editing teacher receives emails.

With kind regards,
Hartmut

Picture of Andreas Grabs

Hi Hartmut,

please don't mix groups and roles. That are very different things. You can assign a user local to the activity, at course level or just give the capability global. That all has the same result: the user has the capability to receive email from feedback.

But the capability is not the only condition that is checked. If you have separated groups the user has to be a member of this group the feedback is submitted from.

Best regards
Andreas

Hi Andreas,

Thanks for all the responses and your patience. The least that I can say after many comments in this forum thread is that separate groups with email notifications enabled don’t seem to be consistent within the Moodle activities. The teacher in the same course will receive emails from separate groups in a Forum activity (where he or she is not a member of any group), but not in Feedback activity. This is what I observed and tested in the last days in Moodle 2.2 and 2.4.

The good news is that I found a solution. As the teacher is able to receive emails in the Feedback activity when the group mode is set to visible, but the student will only see his or her answers, but not the answers of other groups, I will go with this approach. Thanks again, Andreas, for providing this module and for the forum moderation.

With kind regards,
Hartmut