Newbie question - SCORM and Data

Newbie question - SCORM and Data

by Mike Mohr -
Number of replies: 3

Not sure if this belongs here so forgive me if this isn't the correct place to ask this. We have a very limited LMS (it can do more but they won't turn on certain features becaue no one else but a small group will use the features and it's not "economically viable") What I'm trying to find is a way to get the scorm data our elearnings can generate into a data base. He is the caviate - We HAVE to put our elearnings on a specific server system that is validated due to government regulations. So right now our LMS - if you can call it that is just basically a big task scheduler that provides a link to the learning which is stored somewhere else. I'm wondering if there is any way to use Moodle to be in the background (not as a "dedicated" LMS) to grab the SCORM data and put it somewhere where it can be analyzed. We develop elearning using Articulate Storyboard so we can do SCORM 1.2 2004 X edition and AICC. If this should go somewhere else in the forum feel free to direct me there (or toss this there) Thanks for any help or information.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Mike Mohr

Re: Newbie question - SCORM and Data

by Ankit Agarwal -

Am not sure I fully understand what you are trying to achive, but have a look at Moodle's external aicc package support. It allows you to create/launch a scorm activity from Moodle, by simply entering an external AICC package url.

Scorm settings

Hope that helps

Thanks

In reply to Ankit Agarwal

by Mike Mohr -

We have a LMS that schedules the material and provides a link to the material but it does not track anything. When a person is done with taking a course they manually enter that they completed the course. The material does not reside in this LMS but on a different server. It HAS to reside there because of government regs. The only thing we currently track is that an employee took the course. Tha's all we are required to do so that's all that's done. Our education department wants to go further so we can analyze the educational offerings and make them better. We can already create scorm material and the material gets launched from within our LMS. We need something that can gather the scorm data that is generated when the user takes a course. Changing the LMS is not an option either.

In reply to Mike Mohr

by Mark Melia -

Hi Mike,

Sounds like your hands are prettied tied here but would changing the SCORM javascript be an option? You could specify the SCORM API calls to go somewhere else (e.g. a ReSTful interface with Moodle).

Just a thought,

Mark