Authentication

Picture of Andrew Lorbach
NTLM_SSO error after upgrade

Hi everyone, having a bit of an issue that I'm hoping someone here might be able to help me with.

Was running moodle 1.9.6 on server 2003, IIS 7, mysql 5.1 etc.

Converted database to full utf8 and moved the install to a new server running:

server 2008 R2, IIS 7.5, Mysql server 5.5 and PHP 5.4.

Moved the 1.9.6 and it works fine, authentication works, everything is jhust as it was on the old server 2003 machine. Upgraded to version 2.2.6+ (the highest version I can go to from 1.9.x). It tells me everything is fine in its checks, tells me it will upgrade a list of modules. Had to extend the fastcgi timeouts but eventually got it to upgrade.

Now when I go into moodle I get this error:

auth_ldap/ntlmsso_iwamagicnotenabled

I followed the link "more info" and it takes me to a thread which talks about the issue on linux and httpd.conf updates (which I'm not using). I ran this php code like it mentions:

<?php
if (isset($_SERVER['REMOTE_USER']) && !empty($_SERVER['REMOTE_USER'])) {
    echo "<p>NTLM authentication seems to be working. User: " . $_SERVER['REMOTE_USER'] . "</p>";
} else {
    echo '<p>NTLM is not working</p>';
}
?>

I get an "NTLM authentication seems to be working." response.

I've tried all kinds of security permissions on both the moodle and moodldata folder. I've even resorted to giving the "everyone" group full permissions just to see if it made a differnece but no avail.

Inside IIS 7.5 I've made sure the ntlmsso_magic.php file has the ntlm provider set to the top of the list.

I'm out of ideas, been racking my brains, tried searching everywhere with that error and I can only find unresolved ones and linux specific stuff. This issue only occurs in moodle 2.x+ my version 1.9 had no issues with this on either server.

I'd be eternally grateful if someone had a solution or some ideas I could try so I can get our moodle site up and running.

Thank you all smile

Average of ratings: -
Picture of Andrew Lorbach
Re: NTLM_SSO error after upgrade

Nobody has any suggestions? I can't even turn off ntlm_sso because it won't login using it sad.

Picture of Iñaki Arenaza
Group DevelopersGroup Documentation writersGroup Particularly helpful Moodlers

You can log in skipping the ntlm sso by using the special URL:

http://your.moodle.site/login/index.php?authldap_skipntlmsso=1

Saludos. Iñaki.

Picture of Miryan salas

That error comes from the condition (auth/ldap/ntlmsso_magic.php):

if ($authplugin->ntlmsso_magic($sesskey) && file_exists($file)) {

} else {
    print_error('ntlmsso_iwamagicnotenabled', 'auth_ldap');
}

And the function  ntlmsso_magic (auth/ldap/auth.php) has the code you have run.
Why don't you try testing the condition that is failing "ntlmsso_magic($sesskey)" or  "file_exists($file)"?

Picture of Iñaki Arenaza
Group DevelopersGroup Documentation writersGroup Particularly helpful Moodlers

I get an "NTLM authentication seems to be working." response.

When you get this response, what's the format of the username? Is it domainname\username? Does it contain non-ascii characters?

Saludos. Iñaki.