General help

Picture of Carrie Kruppa
SCORM status always "Not attempted" since upgrade to 2.4

It appears that all of the SCORM attempts from all of my users ever since I upgraded from 2.3 to 2.4 back in December have the same problem: SCORM status always "Not attempted."

I have tested with SCORM debugging on for different SCOS and different user behaviors, always the same result. SCORM debugging shows no errors whatsoever. There is no sign at all that anything is wrong until I try to look at the tracking data for a particular SCORM attempt, which is unavailable because the status "Not attempted." Strangely, the grade does seem to record even when the status is "Not attempted."

See the image for an example of what I'm seeing. Everything before December 18 records as it should: "Completed" or "Incomplete" with a score of either 0 or 1. Everything after the upgrade (two red boxes) shows the error: "Not attempted" status with an appropriate grade of 0 or 1. But when I view details for that attempt, there are none. Please advise.

I have been using Moodle for about 2 years and upgraded many times. I've searched the tracker and the forums but found no one else with this problem. I apologize in advance if I'm being stupid, but I promise I'm not being lazy. How could it just be me?

Version - Moodle 2.4+ (Build: 20121214)

Average of ratings: -
Picture of Andre Kruger
Re: SCORM status always "Not attempted" since upgrade to 2.4
Group Testers

We have also been experiencing weird issues with SCORM activities and the "Not attempted" status. I'm busy investigating and will also provide more detail. I just want to try the latest version of Moodle 2.4.1 on our Development server to see if this makes any difference.

Picture of Carrie Kruppa

I have now discovered that the tracking data are in fact present in Moodle's database, as they should be, even for the SCOs that show "Not attempted" status. The difference between those attempts that render correctly and those that do not lies in the "scoid" field of the "mdl_scorm_scoes_track" table.

For some reason, there are two 'scoid's associated with a single SCO as mapped in the table 'mdl_scorm_scoes' (see attached image; boxed in yellow). One entry has a value for every field and 'title'="Course Object title." This 'scoid' appears for all SCORM attempts that render correctly (see attached image; boxed in green). A second entry in 'mdl_scorm_scoes' for the same SCORM has many empty fields with 'title'="Captivate E-Learning Course." This 'scoid' appears for all SCORM attempts that render incorrectly (see attached image, boxed in red).

I think all of this started when I upgraded to Moodle 2.4. Why are there two entries for each SCO? Why did Moodle previously map tracking data with one of the two 'scoid's and now it is mapping to the other? I don't know what the database looked like before upgrading, but it worked before and it doesn't work now. Can anyone explain this?

Picture of Chris Throup

Hi, Carrie.

Did you ever find a solution to this? We have recently discovered the same problem on a site which has always been a Moodle 2.4 installation.

Picture of Andre Kruger
Group Testers

We are definitely having issues but I think our issues differ. Currently some of our students can't enter a SCORM test again or should I say it does not launch a new attempt/review when they enter the activity because the Tracking shows "Completed" If I set this value to "Incomplete" in the database they can enter the test again. Something must have changed from Moodle 2.3 to 2.4. Anyway I'm busy doing some tests and activity setting changes and will see if our issues are somehow connected.

Picture of Carrie Kruppa

I figured it out. And what an investigation that was!! I will be posting it to the Tracker as a a bug soon, and I will provide the link.

https://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-37529

The culprit is....DRUM ROLL...skipping the content structure page. When "Student skip content structure page" is set to "First Access" or "Always," then tracking is screwed up because tracking data maps to the wrong 'scoid' in the database. When it is set to "Never," the correct 'scoid' is linked and the tracking data are accessible from the SCORM Report.

Now I have a database full of mislinked tracking data from the last month, but I may be able to write a script to fix that. Needless to say, I can stop the problem from continuing by setting all my SCORM items to "Never" on "Student skip content structure page."

That was some epic investigation, if I say so myself.

Average of ratings:Useful (1)
Picture of Andre Kruger
Group Testers

Hi Carrie, I hope this is not the case but I also ended up at the same place, with the SCORM - Student skip content structure page - setting. Ours was set to "Never" but this setting also caused us issues, students was only able to go into the test the first time, thereafter it only opened a "Blank Page" unless they chose the "Start new attempt".  The only way I could get them to access the Test or choose to revise the test was to change the setting to "Always". The other solution was to change the SCORM setting to "Always start a new attempt".

I'm not sure what to do now, but I guess I will add my comments to your bug and monitor our site if we are going to experience the same issue you did.

Picture of Andre Kruger
Group Testers

Hi Carrie, you did not maby get a solution for this yet? Idon't see any activity on the Tracker bug.

Thanks, Andre

Picture of Carrie Kruppa

Andre, I changed all of my SCORM activities to "Never" for 'Student skip content structure page', and most of the new attempts since then are tracking correctly. (Furthermore, I wrote a PHP script to correct the database linkage for past corrupted SCORM attempts, and they are now accessible.)

So, my only solution is to set 'Student skip content structure page' to "Never." I haven't had the problems you expressed with re-entering a SCORM activity under this setting, but I suspect our issues are connected. I just hope that the developers have time to track down the cause of this problem and fix it.

Walking on the snow towards Lago Nero...
Group DevelopersGroup Particularly helpful Moodlers

Hi Carrie,
could you provide me a sample of one of your packages affected by this issue?

Next week 2.5 code will be "frozen": I'd like to look at the issue to see if it could be fixed in time.

TIA,
Matteo

Walking on the snow towards Lago Nero...
Group DevelopersGroup Particularly helpful Moodlers

Hi All,
just for the record: today I've replicated the issue, details in the Tracker.

Matteo

Picture of Mairsile Hourihane

We're upgrading from Moodle 1.9 (at last, I hear you say!), to Moodle 2.5.4. But, we're having this same problem with a SCORM created with Articulate Studio 09, Upgrade 10.

Has a solution been found?

I've added my tuppence worth to https://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-37529.

Picture of William Mccarthy

We had to run a utility to fix these Articulate scorms.   2.5.4 plus is what we are currently on.

http://www.articulate.com/support/presenter-09/using-the-articulate-updater-for-internet-explorer-10