Migrating Courses from 1.9.9 to 2.4

Migrating Courses from 1.9.9 to 2.4

by Graham Stone -
Number of replies: 8
Picture of Testers

Good Afternoon,

I am currently in the process of setting up our Moodle 2.4 site to replace our exisitng 1.9.9 site (we have decided to start with a fresh new Moodle rather than upgrade) and I am just wondering it it is possible to backup and restore a whole Category like you can with a course?

Thanks,

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Graham Stone

Re: Migrating Courses from 1.9.9 to 2.4

by Colin Fraser -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Testers

It may be, but why bother? The jump from v1.9.x to v2.4 is, I suspect, a step too great. You might be better off going to a v2.2.x first, then up to a v2.4. What you can do is to simply delete the Moodle code, keep only the config.php file. Extract the v2.2.x code then run it as normal. It should update and upgade everything, Test it, then when satisfied, repeat the process for v2.4. Seriously suggest you do this on a test server first. You may need to make several attempts before getting it right, but this will not interfere with your production site, until you are happy with what you know and how to do it.

In reply to Graham Stone

by Nilesh Kulkarni -

dear graham,

i did not find upgradation smooth even from 2.3.1 to 2.4. I upgraded as per upgradation notes, which are very simple steps as you think when u read them BUT life will be challenging when u do it yourself. 

Smooth moodle update , till time i found from my own exp and posts in this scetion, is either a LUCK or u need to have great patience to do so. Now i am thinking of removing 2.3.1 and install fresh copy of 2.4 and then import all courses and users. This is extremely  time consuming job if you have high no of courses. But i do not see any other otiion. AFTER UPGRADING FROM 2.3.1 TO 2.4, I LOGGED IN AS ADMIN AND FOUND SITE CONTROL LINKS ARE INACTIVE.  I have posted it on this forum but my issue is still unresolved. 

Another thing is u need to have server admin privillages if something goes wrong, which may not be the case always. So u need to depend upon server administrater of your site  to try our different ways to get moodle back in working condition. 

I do not want to discourage you but just shared my experience during upgradation.

All the best,

Nilesh Kulkarni

In reply to Graham Stone

by Bret Miller -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

According to the upgrade instructions, you'd need to go to 2.2.x before you can upgrade higher than that. That's not to say that a course backup from 1.9.x wouldn't work if imported into 2.4. I think you'd just need to try it and see. It probably would depend on what types of activities you have in your courses. 

From what I can gather from recent postings, your safest upgrade path is probably 1.9.9 ==> 1.9.19+ ==> 2.2.6+ ==> 2.3.3+

You could, of course, go right to 2.4+ from 2.2.6+ realizing that you'd be on the bleeding edge of Moodle. We did that with 2.3 and had far too many issues. So we'll probably wait until 2.5 is close before going to 2.4 just to try to be safer about it.

The jump to 1.9.19+ is important because changes were made in the later 1.9.x line to make upgrading to 2.x smoother.

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Graham Stone

by M H -

I think the previous replies might have misunderstood your initial posting.

My understanding is that you are building a fresh install of 2.4, into which you'd like to import your 1.9 courses.  This is definitely possible; I did the same thing from 1.9 to 2.3 this summer.

The bad news is that I only managed to do it backing up and restoring courses one at a time. It's time-consuming, but definitely worth the effort.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to M H

by Doug Loomer -

We will also be migrating selected  courses from our Moodle 1.9.9 install to a clean 2.4 install.  Do you have any tips or protocol suggestions?

In reply to Doug Loomer

by AL Rachels -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi Graham and Doug,

I migrated from 1.9.17+ to a clean 2.3 last August. Most everything went fairly well. My biggest problem was I had about 370 wiki's made in dfwiki that I had to copy and paste one page at a time because there was no upgrade for it. I actually converted them to books because of the automatic table of contents and links. 

The other thing that occured that was a problem, and I did not know it until too late, was I wound up with a bunch of duplicate question banks. Every test that got moved from 1.9 to 2.3 created its own question bank. Since many of the tests were about the same subject, (pre-tests, in-progress test, and post-tests) I wound up with numerous duplcate questions. I didn't realize this had happened for about two weeks. If I had realized how much trouble it would be to get rid of the duplicate questions, I would have did the migration a second time without the tests. As it was, I spent quite a few hours consolidating and eliminating duplicate questions so I would not have multiple copies/versions of questions to maintain.

Hope your migration goes well,

AL

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to M H

by Graham Stone -
Picture of Testers

Hi Martin,

Thanks yes it would appear that the others misunderstood my initial posting.  We are going down the route of a fresh 2.4 install as our current 1.9 is completly messed up due to it never being managed properly before I joined the college.

I'm glad to hear that it is possible, it's just a shame you have to do one course at a time and it's not just possible to migrate whole categories as this would be much better especially with Meta and Child Course links.

Cheers,

In reply to Graham Stone

by Visvanath Ratnaweera -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
Hi Graham

You wrote:
> We are going down the route of a fresh 2.4 install as our current 1.9 is completly messed up due to it never being managed properly before I joined the college.

How do you know that, something similar will not happen to 2.4? In the worst case you'll end up with two half functioning Moodle sites!

I would clean the old house first, and leave it clean until I completely move to the new house. Well, that is me.