A suggested change to the forum settings

A suggested change to the forum settings

by Marcus Green -
Number of replies: 7
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

I use Moodle in the classroom and until Moodle 2.0 I found the Q&A style forum very useful. I would set various questions and the students would post answers. They would not see any other students answers until they had posted their own.

Then in March 2011 MDL-9376 broke this for me by  preventing students seeing other people posts until the maxediting time had elapsed (i.e. a typical 30 minute delay before students could see other peoples posts)

https://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-9376

This made the Q&A forum unusable in the classroom setting for me. I need them to see other students answers immediatly. If they were to cheat by posting a nonsense answer and then updating it I would probably see it as I am there in the classroom. 

I then hacked the fix in the code so it didn't apply on my own installation but I was wondering if other people have had the same experience and if it is worth investigating creating a setting in the forum creation form that allowed this feature to be toggled. If so what should it be called, i.e. "Delay Display" or whatever.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Marcus Green

Re: A suggested change to the forum settings

by Rob Johnson -

My teachers have been debating this since we upgraded to Moodle 2.  I have classroom teachers that want the option of of immediate view, and fully online teachers that want the editing time to expire first.  It would be nice if there was an option in the forum settings to allow for either.  That way the teacher would be able to decide.

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Rob Johnson

by Marcus Green -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

I have added a new column to my forum table and added a new checkbox to the forum field as in the following image. I have modified  the end of the forum_user_can_see_post method in the forum lib file. I tested it for about 60 seconds, this is a proof of concept.

Attachment delaydisplay.jpg
Average of ratings: Useful (4)
In reply to Marcus Green

by Rob Johnson -

Hi Marcus,

I think it would be great if you put this into the tracker as a feature request.  It would make both my classroom and fully online teachers happy.  I will vote if you post the tracker item.

Rob

In reply to Marcus Green

by Chuck Labrie -

Ironically we have been discussing this issue as well.

We are using 2.2.6 moving to 2.3 shortly.

As it appears to work now, when students post to a forum, the post can be seen immediately by others in the course. During the editing period, the post can be updated by the author. It can also be deleted by the author provided no replies to it have been made.

We would like to see and option for all forum types that would delay a post from becoming available/seen in the forum by anyone but the author and teacher, until the editing time has elapsed.

Our main concern is with inapropriate behaviour. This would provide some element of protection from students posting improper comments.

I had planned to open a feature request for this but since this will be done by someone else, we will monitor the request and vote on it.

Thanks to Marcus for opening the conversation on this important point.

In reply to Chuck Labrie

by Marcus Green -

Thanks Chuck, I have just created an issue at the tracker which you can see at 

https://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-37712

Please vote on it if you think it would be useful

In reply to Marcus Green

by Rob Johnson -

Hi Marcus,

I am about to implement your hack for Q&A forum reply timing.  Do you know if the changes you posted in the track will work in Moodle 2.4?

In reply to Marcus Green

by Jason Hardin -

I would make two changes to this. 

1. I would add a global setting that says whether this is enabled or disabled at the site level for admins

2. I would add the time of delay to the right of the disable or as a new field. This way not only can the teacher say yes I want a delay but they can also specify how long that delay is. 

I think the delay time is key to allow users to edit the post if they make a mistake. For your use case you need no editing and instant posting. Others might allow 5 minutes of editing ( near instant) and others are ok with the 30 minute rule.