Gradebook

Picture of Nancy K Hoke
Course Total Does not Display for Faculty and Students

Greetings - I have been working and checking this course for several hours and I cannot locate the problem.  A faculty member with two sections of English in Moodle 2.3 with the Gradebook set to Weighted Mean of Grade with 6 categories cannot see the course total column in the View tab. 

When I am in as Admin I see the course total and the final grade is being calculated.  Sign-in as the faculty member - the course total column does not display in View with Editing on or off. The gradebook just stops at the last graded assignment.

In Categories and Items - the course total does display. The aggregation is at 100. 

If we export the gradebook the Course Total does come over into Excel.  I have checked Settings in both the gradebook and the course. 

Course is set to Yes to display gradebook for students - and the column appears but no data in total - all of the individual grades do appear. 

Grade display is set to Real. The 'Eye' on Course total is open.  This is the only faculty member currently reporting this problem.  I have changed and re-set settings is the Gradebook and the course - but it does not correct the problem.  I hope someone can help.

Nancy K.

Picture of Emma Richardson
Re: Course Total Does not Display for Faculty and Students
Group Particularly helpful Moodlers

Are the individual assignments hidden?  I have seen this issues when assignments are hidden.  

Picture of Nancy K Hoke

In the gradebook all of the eyes are open. However two of the assignments are TurnItIn - could the date for posting the grades be a factor? The assignment was due on the 10th and the posting date is also set for the 10th.  I did check and both dates are set for 2013. 

Picture of Bob Puffer

Check if grade items on course page are hidden.

Check instructor's preferences in gradebook on "Show course totals if items are hidden"

Picture of Nancy K Hoke

Thank you - I have checked in the course and the item is not hidden - the eyes is open.  What should the setting be for "Show Course Totals if Items are hidden"?

This should be set to Show course Totals - however, I saw somewhere that there was a bug and sometimes course totals would not show even when this was selected.  Not sure when or if that has been fixed.  Are all of your sections on the course page also unhidden?

Picture of Nancy K Hoke

Thank you - I think I am zeroing on the problem.  If the faculty accounts is in Full view the course column does not appear - if switch to Aggregate only the column appears.  We are in 2.3+ - we are using Firefox as the primary bowser. Should I submit as a bug?  We are in the finals and the Course total is critical this week.  Thank you again for your help.

Picture of Nancy K Hoke

One more post - there was an Assignment in the gradebook with no grades. It was the last entered - I deleted it and the category and the gradebook now appears to be functioning correctly. 

There must have been something set strangely in that assignment.  You might try adding a new one to make sure that it doesn't happen again.  Otherwise, we can hope that you have resolved it!

Picture of Nancy K Hoke

Yes, it appears we had an unhappy Assignment - deleting it seems to have solved the issues.  Many lessons learned from this one. wink