Is anyone successfully run OWLL OOHOO Langage Lab ?

Is anyone successfully run OWLL OOHOO Langage Lab ?

by Julien Thomas -
Number of replies: 7

Hi,

I would like to use OWLL (OOHOO Web-based Language Lab) on my Moodle.

I tryed for a few months to make it work.

Unfortunately it doesn't yet.

My red5 server works correctely, my Moodle and RAP are correctely configured.

The raptest.php page print "Site is available. Congradulations, your configuration is working!"

The flash part of the module seems not working since it's endlessely "Connecting to server".

And I can't make any records.

I use Moodle 2.4 and a red5 0.8 server.

I work with Google Chrome. And I tryed with Firefox and Internet Explorer.

So i ask : is anyone successfully run OWLL OOHOO Langage Lab and could help please smile ?

Thanks !

Julien

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Julien Thomas

Re: Is anyone successfully run OWLL OOHOO Langage Lab ?

by Marian Vicea -

Hi Julien!

I had the same problem. After 3 days of searching the solution I found out that the answer was very simple... I just connected a webcam to my computer and it worked.

If you say that your Red5 server works fine than you don't need to do extra configuration.
But if you still have this problem, check jour red5.properties file on your Red5 server. You can usually find this file in /usr/share/red5/conf. Replace all the 0.0.0.0 IP addresses in the <something>.host variables with your server IP address (eg.: 192.168.1.2; but not localhost or 127.0.0.1).
You also need to check your Moodle Language lab - OWLL configuration. You can find it in Site administration -> Plugins -> Activity modules -> Language lab - OWLL. I filled the "Path to your Red5 server" and "Server address to access to the adapter" without any port numbers (in my example: 192.168.1.2).

Good luck!

Marian

In reply to Marian Vicea

by Christophe Naud -

Hi to all,

I installed Oohoo web-based Language Lab for Moodle 2.4.1+ and adapted this documentation to Centos 5.9. During my tests, Red5 is working perfectly, I can record myself - listen to students - relisten - rewatch audio/video productions.

I'm having trouble when I want to download the prods.

Red5 Adapter Plugin (RAP) doesn't seem to work + adapter.php not found (screenshots attached).

Can somebody wo is using Red Hat / CentOS explain to me how he/she managed with the RAP part? (configuration)

Thanks in advance.

Christophe

Attachment RAP test_20130208_113938.png
In reply to Christophe Naud

by Florent Lartet -

I think you've found how to do it now ?

On my side, to succeed in the RAP test, I created a new virtualhost (= new name/server/alias) to put all the files in the root folder of the virtualhost. The RAP doesn't like to be out of the root folder, all the files have to be in the root, that's the key I think.

By the way, are you still working with OWLL ? In this case, did you experience the bug of having a cut-by-two records ? If I record 30s of audio, I have a 15s record. If I record 5mn => 2mn30s ... very annoying.

In reply to Marian Vicea

by sebastien gaudin -

I had the same problem.

Language Lab configuration checker is ok.

Apache/php ----- ok

RAP --------------- ok

ffmpeg ----------- ok

I tried to modify /usr/share/red5/conf/red5.properties. I change IP adress 0.0.0.0 to computer's address IP. But problem still occurs.

connection problem

If someone has an idea.

Sebius,

In reply to sebastien gaudin

by Tomas Finneran -

Hi

I am having same problem. I also updated my host files to my actual server IP address but still get message "Connecting to server"

Has anyone managed to get this working?

Any help greatly appreciated.

Tommy

In reply to Tomas Finneran

by Florent Lartet -

Hello,

I'm facing this problem.What do you have in tour red5 logs ?Does it detect your incoming connection ?

Client should be able to connect the red5 server on :1935 port, it could be an issue. But if the log is tracing the connections, that's not the problem.

Now I have this problem on a fresh Debian install. Log is tracing but still "Connecting to server", crazy.

Did you try to download the full package and run it with ./red5.sh : in this case it works for me (except records are cut by half .......)

In reply to Florent Lartet

by AL Rachels -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Good news for those of you who have the Language Lab working but with "short" recordings.

I spent most of the past two days playing with various versions of Red5 and Centos 6.4 server and Ubuntu 14.04 server. Turns out that the problem of recordings being truncated was due to a Red5 bug and had nothing to do with the Language Lab or Moodle. I read a LOT of forum entries and if my memory is correct, the problem stems from the client side buffer not being emptied before the signal being sent to the server that the recording was done.

So, you can fix the problem in one of two ways. Got back to Red5 version 0.8 that does things differently and does not have the problem, or move forward to Red5 ver 1.0.2, that was released a few days ago, that has the problem fixed.

I still have a couple of issues with the raptest.php but I can reply to students with audio or video and they can record both, also.