Grades missing from gradebook

Grades missing from gradebook

by Steven Spoon -
Number of replies: 13

Help Please! I have started a Moodle training site for my company and everything appeared to be running smoothly until I uploaded (csv) all of our employees into the various courses.

Problem: some employees are not showing up in the gradebook.

I did a test run using the bulk upload function and everything worked fine. Now, some employee's scores are visible but others are not. I found a thread that talked about "max_input_vars" and have set that to 9999.

I've attached a screenshot. The left hand practice test for "test153" is visible but "Barry Bowerman" took the same test and the score is not visible. Both were uploaded with the same format (csv).

Attachment moodlehelp.gif
In reply to Steven Spoon

Re: Grades missing from gradebook

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi Steven,

Please could you clarify - is it users who are not showing up in the gradebook or grades? Did you import users or grades? What version of Moodle are you using? Could you provide a link to the thread you found about "max_input_vars".

In reply to Helen Foster

by Steven Spoon -

Helen, thank you so much for the reply! The "max_input_vars link is: https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=217466. "Missing grades for particular students" in the Gradebook forum. I increased the input to 9999. I also unenrolled all of the users and manually enrolled the user with no grade showing.

I imported/uploaded users, not grades. My Moodle version is:2.3.3+ (Build: 20121208)

The attached screen shot shows that the user can actually take the quiz and get a grade but it doesn't show in the gradebook.

Attachment moodle1-1.jpg
In reply to Steven Spoon

by Steven Spoon -

Question Helen, I have administrative rights, the user that I am having issues with grades not showing in the gradebook has non-editing teacher rights. When I take the quiz (administrative rights) it give me an "attempt" button for the quiz. When I log in as the other user (non-editing teacher) it gives me a "preview" button for the quiz. I am trying to understand the difference and found the following: https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=177727.

Apparently this is not the issue. I changed the settings so the (non-editing teacher) user must "attempt" and not "preview" a quiz. Quiz taken, grade given, time delay enforced to prevent additional testing but the grade still does not show in the gradebook. 

In reply to Steven Spoon

by Steven Spoon -

I have found the problem but need additional help. The grades weren't showing for users who had "non-editing teacher" roles. I changed them to student roles and the grades started showing. 

Problem, I need these same people to be able to view the grades of ALL the real students but they also need to take the quizzes too. I have thought about giving them a separate username for teacher functions but I would like for them to use their original username if possible. Does anyone have any suggestions?

In reply to Steven Spoon

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Great detective work Steven! Good to know why those grades weren't showing up in the gradebook.

You should be able to make the grades show for non-editing teachers by setting non-editing teacher as a graded role in Settings > Site administration > Grades > General settings.

In reply to Helen Foster

by Steven Spoon -

Helen, I checked that before, the non-editing role is checked for graded at the very top of the window. Is there another area I should look? Also, I changed the name from "non-editing teacher" to "general manager". Would that have an effect? Thanks! 

In reply to Steven Spoon

by Steven Spoon -

I read a post in a thread about roles & permissions. What I need to happen is this. General Managers (non-editing teachers) must take and pass the same quizzes as the employees (students). I (administrator) track the scores to ensure compliance of everyone but I also need the managers to be able to check their group of employees for compliance. I originally tried to set this up using the following bulk upload templet.

role1 course1 group1 role2 course2 group2 profile_field_emap
gm ctg test home Anniston        
      gm ctg test home Anniston Managers

I've had to change the role back to "emp" (employee/student) for their grades to appear in the gradebook. I've thought about using a special username for them to use for accessing ALL employee scores but that is not my first choice. Suggestions? smile

In reply to Steven Spoon

by Helen Foster -

I've just managed to make a non-editing teacher's grade appear in the gradebook by setting non-editing teacher as a graded role AND changing a couple of quiz permissions (which you can do at course or activity level as described in the documentation Permissions, or by editing the non-editing teacher role in Settings > Site administration > Users > Permissions > Define roles).

The permissions I changed were allowing mod/quiz:attempt and preventing (not setting) mod/quiz:preview, as it seems you can't allow a user to preview AND attempt quizzes (from the documentation Capabilities/mod/quiz:attempt).

In reply to Helen Foster

by Steven Spoon -

Helen, thank you for the reply but Steven say what? smile I am new to Moodle but a quick learner so I need to catch up here. I have included a screenshot of where I think you wanted me to go with the first paragraph. I prohibited some of the various settings related to quizzes. Hopefully I adjusted the correct things.

I'm lost on the second paragraph. I went to Moodle docs but I'm not sure how to get to these settings to adjust. Docs show "Main page>Managing a Moodle site>Roles and permissions>Capabilities/mod/quiz:attempt. I could use a little clarification please smile

I did set up my course, load everyone as employee (student) and then go into the course and add the role of "General Manager" (non-editing teacher) and it seems to work so far. However, based on what you have told me it sounds like I need to change that. 

Attachment moodle1-2.jpg
In reply to Steven Spoon

by Steven Spoon -

Ok Helen, I may be smarter than a 5th grader. I went to Site administration>User>Permissions>Capability Overviews and got a "Report for capability 'Attempt quizzes'". General manager (non-editing teacher) and employee (student) are set to "Allow". All others are "not set".

(1) Is this what it needs to be?

(2) Do I need to change anything else?

(3) Do I remove the role of "employee (student)" from my courses and keep the role of "General manager (non-editing teacher)"?

In reply to Steven Spoon

by Helen Foster -

Hi Steven,

Apologies for not explaining things well enough in my previous post. Let me try again...

To make the grades show for non-editing teachers, do as follows:

1. Set non-editing teacher as a graded role in Settings > Site administration > Grades > General settings.
  2. Go to Settings > Site administration > Users > Permissions > Define roles and edit the non-editing teacher role (as illustrated in your screenshot)
  3. Type mod/quiz in the filter box to quickly find the capabilities that need to be changed.
  4. For mod/quiz:attempt tick the box to allow it.
  5. For mod/quiz:preview un-tick the box so that it is no longer allowed (not set).
  6. Click the 'Save changes' button at the bottom (or top) of the page.

If anything is still unclear, or if you have further questions, please shout! smile

Attachment changing quiz permissions.png
In reply to Helen Foster

by Steven Spoon -

Hi Helen, that was much clearer, thank you. In a round about way, I had already done what you described. However, when I went to Settings>Enrolled Users to remove the role of "employee", all of the scores for those people disappeared. I currently have them enrolled as "General Manager & employee" and the grades show fine. It may be that Moodle has the test scores logged under the employee user and when I removed that role it wouldn't show the grade anymore. 

At any rate, it appears to be working as I need it to so I am going to let things alone unless I have problems. Thank you soooo much for your help!

In reply to Steven Spoon

by Helen Foster -

Hi Steven, glad to hear you have things working as you wish now. smile It does sound likely that the test scores were logged user the employee user role.