Migrated to new server & Moodle up to 1.9 now no database

Migrated to new server & Moodle up to 1.9 now no database

by Glyn Sloman -
Number of replies: 16

My hosting company migrated me to a new server and they upgraded Moodle to 1.9 (I know they're way behind!) - now I've lost the ability to log in  - no-one can log in on the front page - it's as if it's a new site with nothin on it - they tell me there are no corrupt databases - any help please?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Glyn Sloman

Re: Migrated to new server & Moodle up to 1.9 now no database

by Ken Task -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

It might help to know what the version of Moodle one was upgrading from (1.7, 1.8, etc.) and if the 1.9 is 1.9.19 (highest/most secure version).

Get a front page but no course listings or other normally seen blocks, etc.?  or moodle site renders, just no login?

'spirit of sharing', Ken

In reply to Ken Task

by Glyn Sloman -

Front page okay - but can't log in - no courses showing - blocks showing

Found out the versions etc. - in fact I'm running 1.9.5 and my hoster performed a server upgrade which included mysql upgrades - they think that the new mysql upgrades need a higher Moodle version - so I want to upgrade, problem is any upgrade I choose tells me that "! The selected version, or a version between it and the installed version, does not support upgrading. Check the application's website to see if a "migration" tool is available." - (even 1.9.19) - can anyone help me through the process of upgrading please?

In reply to Glyn Sloman

by Ken Task -

When/where from is:

"The selected version, or a version between it and the installed version, does not support upgrading. Check the application's website to see if a "migration" tool is available."

appearing?

Don't think that's a Moodle notification I've ever seen.

To the best of my knowledge there is no 'migration tool', just the upgrade/update process.

http://docs.moodle.org/22/en/Upgrading_to_Moodle_2.2

So (this is important) who is hosting provider?  They are not (obviously) all equal and they do not always use/provide the same tools.

'spirit of sharing', Ken

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Ken Task

by Glyn Sloman -

It's Uk2 Net and they no longer support Installatron they tell me - and they have no other automatic way of updating - I'm told I must do it manually

And the warning is appearing when I choose to upgrade via Installatron

Looks like Uk2 Net have abandoned any help with Moodle!!

In reply to Glyn Sloman

by Ken Task -

First, and most important, obtain a backup of what you have - even if broken!  Hopefully, you have, within each course, run a backup of that course. 

You probably have a GUI tool to browse files and folders in your space.  Hopefully, it will allow you to make a zip file of a folder in your space.  Make a zip of the moodle data directory (path to that folder be found in your config.php file for Moodle), a zip of the code directory (where the config.php file is located), and a SQL export of the database for Moodle (an sql file).  Download those onto your local hard drive.

Surely the hosting provider can help you accomplish the above.

If no one in these forums host at UK2 and is willing to help  and/or one cannot get assistance from provider (FAQ on how 2 install apps), then you might need to start shopping around for another provider.  When/if you do, before signing up with them, find out if they support Moodle 2.  Yes, I know you have 1.9.5 and support for that will end this year so may as well look to the future.

Anyone from UK care to recommend a provider?  From what I can find 'googling' it doesn't look good for UK2.net:

http://www.reviewcentre.com/reviews120116.html

'spirit of sharing', Ken

In reply to Ken Task

by Glyn Sloman -

Thanks Ken - I had taken an ftp back up a while back of the whole site after the problems (that's the only way I can get inot it at the moment)  - interestingly I compared the config.php file of an ftp backup I'd done about a year back - I noticed the sql database name and password have both changed - is that something which might happen? I certainly haven't done it

In reply to Glyn Sloman

by Ken Task -

Different DB and password isn't something that just happens.  The only people that would know for sure is your provider!  Ask them.

Do you have a tool for MySQL in your space?  Did hosting provider offer a phpMyAdmin tool?  Do either of those tools work with the DB name (login/password) you see in the config.php file?  If not, contact support desk and tell them.

'spirit of sharing', Ken

In reply to Ken Task

by Glyn Sloman -

Ken, do you know where I can get a download of Moodle version 1.9.19 and later in case I have to upgrade manually. And are there any instructions for upgrading manually?

In reply to Glyn Sloman

by Shawn LoPorto -

You can find all the moodle versions at: http://download.moodle.org/  If you are on a shared hosting server, then make sure your environment supports all the moodle requirements (which are listed under each version on the above webpage).  Like me you may only be able to go to Moodle 2.2.6 since the MySQL version jumps after that and my hosting provider isn't that current. sad

Unfortunately there are no detailed notes for this process.  I'm going through it right now and it has been quite challenging.  There is no actual "upgrade" feature.  What I'm experiencing is that you need to setup another installation of moodle with the "next" version you are going to (and everyone hesitates on the idea of jumping versions) and then you have to do a backup of your courses, download the zip file, then in the new installation create a course catalog with a temporary course created.  In that temporary course, do a restore - select your class zip file and then select the option to restore it to a new course and give it the appropriate name.  Then go through your course making sure everything is there and correct; and repeat this process for each class.  Don't forget about any add-ons/plugins you may have installed in the older/current version (I initially forgot about 2 and it messed me up initially).  Good luck!

Ken has been a great help and resource though. smile

In reply to Shawn LoPorto

by Rick Jerz -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

I empathize with you, Shawn.

I was running Moodle 1.9, and when I decided to upgrade to version 2, I didn't even try to do it by "upgrading".  I thought that it was a good time to start fresh with a Moodle 2.x+ product, and then to restore some of my courses into it.  This was two summers ago.  In hindsight, I am glad that I did it this way.  Enough had changed to warrant a brand new install.

Incidentally, I still have 1.9 installed on my server for the times that I need to reference something from the past.

In reply to Glyn Sloman

by Robert Brenstein -
Could be an issue with password salting...
In reply to Robert Brenstein

by Glyn Sloman -

what's password salting?

In reply to Glyn Sloman

by Robert Brenstein -
if your earlier Moodle did not use salting, you need to accommodate that in the config.php.

http://docs.moodle.org/19/en/Password_salting
In reply to Robert Brenstein

by Glyn Sloman -

Where should I puit the salting command in config.php? Or can it go anywhere? I'm not aware of using salting when I set it up; what happens if the previous salting has been wiped from the config file and I don't have a back up?

In reply to Glyn Sloman

by Glyn Sloman -

I searched the config.php file and couldn't find any password salting line so I assume I hadn't used it - so I tried putting passwordsalting in the database setup area of the config.php and it hasn't helped - I still can't log on - any other suggestions please?

In reply to Glyn Sloman

by Ken Task -

Password salting did not appear until version 1.9.6 ... believe you have 1.9.5.  Remove any password salting line you added to the config.php file.That could only make matters worse. :|

Not really sure this is worth doing with present host setup and if it will work or not, but ...

you should find a config-dist.php file among the files in the code directory.  If one inspects that file, one can see there are lines which would turn on debugging.  One could copy those lines and paste them into the current config.php file.  Without knowing anything about UK2.net setup (versions of PHP/MySQL, etc.) this may not work, but then again ... it might provide some information you could take to them.

If you find out what versions of PHP/MySQL hosting provider is running for customers on shared systems, please share back that information.

IF that doesn't work ... make sure you comment out the lines you added with // in front of them.  You can also include your own comment by adding a line that begins with // [your comment here;

The semi-colon at the end of each line is important ... don't exclude them.

'spirit of sharing', Ken