GoDaddy Moodle Upgrade

GoDaddy Moodle Upgrade

by Stefan McGarvey -
Number of replies: 8

Hello, I'm trying to see what kind of success anyone has had in using a VPS from GoDaddy to upgrade to the latest version of Moodle. If you in someway could also let me know how you went about upgrading it would be appreciated.

Not the most Tech savy person and I'm learning both Moodle and GoDaddy interfaces.

Cheers

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Stefan McGarvey

Re: GoDaddy Moodle Upgrade

by Manuel Costales -

First you have to check if your server (GoDaddy account) have the prerequisites to install the latest version of Moodle

by Dr. Nellie Deutsch -

From what I got, Godaddy no longer supports Moodle. 

In reply to Dr. Nellie Deutsch

by Rick Jerz -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

I don't think GoDaddy ever supported Moodle.  GoDaddy is a hosting company, not a Moodle provider.  Yes, of course they had one button scripts to install Moodle.  I found it worked.  But to upgrade Moodle, you were on your own.  I don't think GoDaddy directly supports any application on their servers.

Having said this, I will mention that I have used GoDaddy for around 5 years, including their low end hosted account, and now one of their VPSs.  I am not a big site, I run around 10-15 courses per year, maybe 200 students in total.  I just upgraded from Moodle 2.3.+ to Moodle 2.4 earlier this week.  Everything went fine.

I have a Moodle VPS with cPanel.  I had trouble with Plesk, but it could have been my problem (lack of knowledge).

I know others have had problems with GoDaddy, but somehow, GoDaddy works for me.

(I don't own stock in GoDaddy, nor am I directly connected with this company in any way.)  smile

Average of ratings: Useful (1)

by Bob Neuner -

We originally had our Moodle installation on "GoDaddy" and had nothing but trouble, including trying to upgrade from 1.9 to 2.0 and beyond, using their tools. We have since switch to "HostGator" and things seem to be going much better, not perfect, but better. They were cheaper too, and great service. I think it's better than GoDaddy's.

We are about to get one of our courses certified, and then plan to upgrgade to 2.4 from 2.2.3+ after everything is settled. I don't expect too much trouble, and HostGator has already said they would help if I got into trouble. They supply Moodle as one of their free supplimental offerings along with a lot of other open sources SW. Might be worth looking into.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Bob Neuner

by Rick Jerz -

If you don't mind me asking, which package did you end up purchasing from HostGator?  I am always interested in alternatives.

In reply to Rick Jerz

by Bob Neuner -

We currently have the HostGastor "Baby Plan" since we wanted to host multiple sites on one hosting, and it handles unlimited sites. Our plan is to move the training progrm to its' own hosting, the "Hatchling Plan" when it's time to upgrade. There is no need, or desire to host more than our training site, and having a hosting dedicated to only one site makes backups and restores smaller and easier to manage. It is the same plan, but will only host one site, which is OK for this application. Both have a free shared SSL, unlimited databases, and all of the other features.

Hope this helps. None of the hosting services I've used over the years have been perfect, but HostGator has been better than most.

In reply to Bob Neuner

by Rick Jerz -

Okay.  Thanks for the information.

Is your HostGator "Baby Plan" what shows as "VPS Hosting, Level 1" on their website?

I know what you mean about keeping a site small in order to make backups easier.  I do this too.