User-specified Data sets for calculated questions

User-specified Data sets for calculated questions

написао/ла Michael Hughes -
Број одговора: 11
Слика Core developers Слика Particularly helpful Moodlers Слика Plugin developers

We're currently looking at a request from one of our lecturers about whether it is possible to to get users to enter data sets which are then used by calculated questions to check their answers. 

The situation is one where the quiz tool is in effect being used to validate the results of a experiments. Students perform experiments and then use the values gained in the quiz. Of course for each experiment instance then the values may be different.

I'm pretty sure that this isn't currently possible with the calculated question types, but before we started off down any route that began implmenting anything I wanted to see if anything like this was laready in the pipeline?

M

У одговору на Michael Hughes

Re: User-specified Data sets for calculated questions

написао/ла Jean-Michel Védrine -

Hello Michael,

I don't think calculated questions permit this.

But formulas question type should meet your needs because the answer of each question part (subquestion) is a n coordinates vector and all coordinates can be used as grading variables in the grading criteria.

If you are using moodle 1.9 or 2.0, a version is available on the author website. If you are using Moodle 2.4, I made available a beta release just a few days ago. If you test it, I would be very interested by comments, bug reports, suggestions ... Currently you must use git to get it here.

Please note that despite the port to the new question engine  took me more than a year (part time work намигује) it's still beta, so I suggest to test before using it with students, but as I want to use it with my own students I am committed to fix bugs and maintain it.

Some features are missing for the 2.4 version : upgrade from 1.9 or 2.0 (but you can restore a 1.9 or 2.0 course backup with formulas questions and xml import/export is working) also the javascript that warn the student about syntax error in responses is broken in 2.4 and will need some work.

You can learn more about the Formulas question type searching the quiz forum with word "formulas".

У одговору на Jean-Michel Védrine

Hi,

The first link in my previous message is wrong, I don't know why, should be http://code.google.com/p/moodle-coordinate-question/
Also, searching "formulas" in this forum return a lot of results, so to help people learn about the formulas question type, here are the 2 main treads on that subject:
https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=163345
https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=181049

написао/ла Michael Hughes -
Слика Core developers Слика Particularly helpful Moodlers Слика Plugin developers

I've had a play with this but I can't see how to get to it to *take* values in from the user and then use them in the calculations (I can see how it works randomly generating values for the data set).

M

У одговору на Michael Hughes

Because values entered by the student are _0, _1, _2, ... and unit is _u and you can use them in the grading criteria. Imagine for instance that the first value entered must be twice as big as the second one with an error of .01 the grading criteria would be abs(_0 - 2*_1)< 0.01 as you see you are not constrained to have a grading criteria related to a model answer.

But maybe I don't exactly see what you want, an example would help me to understand if formulas can do what you want or not.

If you want the question to be able to accept values entered by the student and then display the result of a calculation depending on these values, formulas can't do that.

תשובה ל: Re: User-specified Data sets for calculated questions

написао/ла anat peri -

hello Jean-Michel.

i've asked our admin to install a new formulas question - and now i try it

1. the good news - it works when I make a new question/смешак

2. the bad new - i wanted to up load my old questions that work now on 2.0 but igot an error (i copied the text and send for you, because i don't understend im it/

Debug info: SELECT * FROM {qtype_formulas} WHERE questionid = ?
[array (
0 => '51536',
)] 
Error code: invalidrecord
Stack trace:
  • line 1321 of \lib\dml\moodle_database.php: dml_missing_record_exception thrown
  • line 1297 of \lib\dml\moodle_database.php: call to moodle_database->get_record_select()
  • line 132 of \question\type\formulas\questiontype.php: call to moodle_database->get_record()
  • line 787 of \lib\questionlib.php: call to qtype_formulas->get_question_options()
  • line 815 of \lib\questionlib.php: call to _tidy_question()
  • line 264 of \question\engine\bank.php: call to get_question_options()
  • line 46 of \question\preview.php: call to question_bank::load_question()
У одговору на anat peri

Re: תשובה ל: Re: User-specified Data sets for calculated questions

hello anat,

In fact I only tested importing questions (using Moodle XML format) and courses from Moodle 1.9, not Moodle 2.0 because I never used 2.0 (I jumped from 1.9 to 2.1). Sorry it doesn't works but most likely not too difficult to fix.

Can I ask that you send me one of the files you tried to import and that resulted in broken questions by mail (I will send you my mail adress in a private message because last time I wrote in in a forum I was overwhelmed by mails asking for help on various Moodle subjects).

This is a reason why I wanted to annonce that a beta version was available : so that many users can try it and help me to find the bugs.

написао/ла Peter Halverson -

Dear Jean-Michel,

Have you posted the formulas question type (also known as moodle-coordinate-question type) anyplace where we can get it without using "git"?  I would like to try it but I would prefer not having to learn another layer of software.  I am running Moodle version 2.4

Sincerely,

Peter Halverson

PS:  I made the mistake of installing the coordinate-question-type from the formulas-3.0.zip file available at http://code.google.com/p/moodle-coordinate-question/downloads/list but it had some really bad effects on my moodle 2.4 setup.  It causes the quiz editing functionality to die and now I'm having trouble uninstalling it.  (No big deal, since I have good backups, but still..)

У одговору на Peter Halverson

написао/ла Tim Hunt -
Слика Core developers Слика Documentation writers Слика Particularly helpful Moodlers Слика Peer reviewers Слика Plugin developers
У одговору на Tim Hunt

As Peter says he is running Moodle 2.4 the best choice for him would be to use the https://github.com/jmvedrine/moodle-qtype_formulas/tree/MOODLE_24_STABLE branch and to download the zip using the link : https://github.com/jmvedrine/moodle-qtype_formulas/archive/MOODLE_24_STABLE.zip

Note that I am in the process of submitting all the question types that I maintain to the Moodle plugins directory. You can already find Algebra, Drag and Drop Matching and Java Molecular Editor question type. Next one will be All or Nothing and then I will submit Formulas.

I must also find some time to properly document these question types. I started for Algebra and Java Molecular Editor, but these pages are not complete. If you use any of these question types, feel free to edit them to improve the content.

Of course documenting Formulas will be a huge task because Hon Wai Lau's original documentation is not always clear and also I made some changes when porting Formulas to the new question engine that need to be properly documented too.

написао/ла Peter Halverson -

Dear Jean-Michel,

Have you posted the formulas question type (also known as moodle-coordinate-question type) anyplace where we can get it without using "git"?  I would like to try it but I would prefer not having to learn another layer of software.  I am running Moodle version 2.4

Sincerely,

Peter Halverson

PS:  I made the mistake of installing the coordinate-question-type from the formulas-3.0.zip file available at http://code.google.com/p/moodle-coordinate-question/downloads/list but it had some really bad effects on my moodle 2.4 setup.  It causes the quiz editing functionality to die and now I'm having trouble uninstalling it.  (No big deal, since I have good backups, but still..)

У одговору на Peter Halverson

Peter,

your trouble un-installing Formulas 3.0 (it would have been the same for any old question type made for Moodle 1.9 or 2.0) have been properly documented by somebody велики осмех in the tracker, this is MDL-31099 Better management of errors when an old (incompatible) question type is installed, but as it has only 2 votes, I guess it's not a priority.