Future major features

Picture of Joshua Bragg
Contrib migration into Core
Group Particularly helpful Moodlers

We're having an interesting discussion over in the Quiz forum on how and when contributed question types might move into core.  

https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=218892

Tim suggested that it would be good to start a broader discussion about how and when anything gets moved into the core and what are the criteria for that.  In short what would that decision depend on?

1) Popularity?
2) Major missing features?
3) Multiple plugins trying to accomplish the same goal?
4) Maintainance concerns?

I'm curious to hear all of your thoughts on the general process here and on specific question types in the other discussion.

Average of ratings:Useful (2)
Picture of Tomasz Muras
Re: Contrib migration into Core
Group DevelopersGroup Particularly helpful MoodlersGroup Translators

It looks to me that the first 3 reasons mentioned (popularity, missing feature, multiple plugins) are really the same: there is some gap in Moodle that community tries to fill.

In my opinion, popularity of a plugin/hack/modification (measured by either of those 3) should be the main criteria.

We definitely should not base it on the qualit of a plugin - that doesn't really matter (if it's bad, then it may need to be re-written to get into the core).

We could also have similar process for removing things from core Moodle. If something is not popular and rarely used maybe it should be removed from the core?

cheers,
Tomek

Average of ratings: -
Picture of Joshua Bragg

Good point on my first suggestions.

So what is the metric for popularity?  Downloads in the plugin database?

What would be the metric for removing things from core?

Martin in black and white
Group DevelopersGroup Documentation writersGroup Moodle HQGroup Particularly helpful MoodlersGroup Testers

As I've traditionally been the person who decides this, I guess I should answer.   smile

Generally we are including fewer and fewer new plugins in core, as we move towards pushing everything into the Moodle plugins database and using manual/automatic means of installing/updating plugins in any given Moodle.   Soon you will be able to click a button in Moodle plugins database to install a module directly in your own Moodle, for example.

This is similar to platforms such as operating systems, web apps and mobile phones, which ship with a basic set of core functionality but make it easy for you to extend your platform in whatever direction you want.

The exceptions in my view are:

1. Plugins that almost everyone in every education sector would find useful and fills a gap in Moodle without overlapping on existing functionality much (eg Book).
  2. Plugins that are small and optional but flesh-out a list of options, such as new authentication plugins or grading methods.

Maintenance is always a concern.  Moodle Pty Ltd has resources for maintaining our core code but they have a limit and I have to be careful not to stretch us too thin.  We love volunteers but the fact is they do often move on after some time.

Average of ratings:Useful (4)
Picture of Joshua Bragg

Thanks that's pretty helpful.  Any thoughts on how this applies to question types?  To me it seems that they'd fall into the second category to me.

Any thoughts on the other concerns raised in the linked discussion?