Urgent Concerning Content In Lessons

Urgent Concerning Content In Lessons

بذریعہ Doug Moody -
جوابات کی تعداد: 4

I use 2.4 latest

Either I don't understand lessons, or Moodle can't do this. Please help me understand if I need to take another approach, because what I have done so far isn't wiorking. Maybe just because I forgot to include somehting small (but vital)چوڑی آنکھیں.

Basically, I have a lesson in which there is content that students have to read before they answer a set of questions. Each time they answer the questions correctly (I want about 5 questions in easch set) they can go to the next content page.

On the first introductory page it tells students how it all works. Plus, I put in a PDF file popup with some additional explanations. That PDF file pops up when they click the link on the right side of the page that says "Linked Media, Click Here To View"

However, what I want to happen is that students should read this entire page, plus the linked media, and then they can click on a button that takes them to another page, with its own, different, linked media popup. They have to answer a quiz based on that linked media content, and when they get the quiz right (with a minimum score), they are allowed to go on to the next part of the lesson that again has more linked PDF popup media.

The idea is that students will be guided through a lesson in small bits, with PDF reference material always handy in popups that are relevant to that particular lesson. When they are completely done with the lesson, having taken small quizzes all along, they will receive a final score.

So, is this possible? If so, can someone provide me with instructions? I tried following the Moodle Docs, but they were confusing and left out some information I need. That's why I am asking here.

Please help. I have to get this done within two days! Thank you in advance.

درجہ بندی کا اوسط: -
Doug Moody کے جواب میں

Re: Urgent Concerning Content In Lessons

بذریعہ Joseph Rézeau -
Core developers کی تصویر Particularly helpful Moodlers کی تصویر Plugin developers کی تصویر Testers کی تصویر Translators کی تصویر

Doug "... what I want to happen is that students should read this entire page, plus the linked media, and then they can click on a button that takes them to another page, with its own, different, linked media popup..."

A.- What you want is not possible. There can only be one "linked media" popup window per lesson. This is clearly stated on the Lesson settings page, in the "Pop-up to file or web page" element online help:

Pop-up to file or web page

To include a pop-up window at the beginning of a lesson, choose the appropriate file to display. Every lesson page will include a link to re-open the pop-up if necessary.

B.- There are different solutions to your problem. The easiest one would be to split up your material and create as many different "Lesson" instances as necessary, each with its own PDF pop-up window. Then you could use the "conditional access" feature to enable access of Lesson 02 upon completion of Lesson 01, enable access of Lesson 03 upon completion of Lesson 02 etc.

C.- If this is not practical, and you do want all your material in one lesson only, then you can place in the text of your Lesson page a link which will open a new window containing a PDF document (or any kind of media). This is similar to what you wanted to achieve with the Lesson pop-up window, but will work from within a Lesson page individually.

Here is a step-to-step "how-to".

1.- In your Lesson, create a Content Page, e.g. page 01 and enter the text you want to display to the student. Then enter some instructions re the PDF document download and select a few words. Then click on the Insert/Edit link button.

screenshot #1

2.- In the Insert/Edit link pop-up window, go to the Popup tab and enter the various parameters, including of course the Popup URL. The Popup URL can point to an existing file in your teacher's so-called "Private files", or a file that you want to upload from your computer, or a file that resides on one of the Repositories that an Admin has set up on your Moodle site, or somewhere "in the cloud"...

screenshot #2

Note.- If you want all subsequent PDF docs to open in the same pop-up window, i.e. to have their contents replace the contents of the current pop-up window, you need to enter the same name (exacly) in the Window name field, for all the pop-up windows you create in your Lesson's content pages.

Click Insert.

3.- Enter some text, e.g. "Continue" and Jump to the next page etc. as usual then Save your Lesson page.

4.- When your students view your page "page 01" and click on the "click here" link that you have provided, the PDF document will be disaplayed in a pop-up window. Provided of course that the necessary Acrobat PDF plugins have been previously installed on their machines and browser.

screenshot #3

Hope this helps,

Joseph

PS.- According to the usual Netiquette rules, it is not recommended to use such words as URGENT in one's post. See How To Ask Questions The Smart Way.

And do not use extra large font unless necessary.

درجہ بندی کا اوسط:Useful (1)
Joseph Rézeau کے جواب میں

بذریعہ Doug Moody -

Joseph,

THANK YOU! I was just giving up on an answer, but you helped me SO much! I think the way you worded things and gave examples is worthy of inclusion in Moodle Docs.

Your criticisms of my fonts and wording will be well considered. I use larger fonts for my own use mostly. I am not able to see as well as I used to, and larger fonts are helpful to me as I type.

re: the use of "urgent", well, it was urgent to me, and I don't know how else to phrase something that is truly urgent. Believe me, I don't use that term lightly, But I will use it cautiously.

Two final questions though...You said I can use links to my repositories. I have a repository specifically for PDf files in the moodledata folder. If I use that as a URL link, will it actually work? I thought files in moodledata were given a hash name to disguise their real path on the server and links added in the TinyMCE area would reveal the real path??

Secondly, how does the scoring work in the first method you mentioned? Will I get one final score of all the lessons, or will each lesson create its own score? I suspect the latter. But with your second method (embedding a link in the HTML area), then I suspect the scoring will be an ongoing score (with a realtime green completion bar for the student) I like the completion bar, but I think if I use the first method, the completion bar will only show for each lesson, but not for all the lessons cumulatively, correct?

Doug Moody کے جواب میں

بذریعہ Joseph Rézeau -
Core developers کی تصویر Particularly helpful Moodlers کی تصویر Plugin developers کی تصویر Testers کی تصویر Translators کی تصویر

Doug,

Glad I was able to help.اشارہ

Q1.- "I have a repository specifically for PDf files in the moodledata folder. If I use that as a URL link, will it actually work?"

Probably not. If you used to work with versions of Moodle prior to 2 (e.g. 1.9) you have realized that the files API has been completely changed. I'm not sure how your "PDF files repository in moodledata" is accessed, so I cannot help. What I recommend is to use the "Personal files" system. Although those files are called "personal", in fact if in teacher (or admin) role you draw from them, the students in your course will be able to see them.

Q2.- Using method #1 (multiple lessons), each lesson will have its own score but I think you can aggregate those scores in the Course gradebook. I never use the gradebook myself so you'll have to find out for yourself or ask for help on the relevant forum.

If you manage to get the "links to pop-up windows for PDF files" system I described in my post, then you're right, it will be an ongoing score, with the progress bar showing. I think that second method should really suit your needs, once you have mastered the "files repository" system.

ATB

Joseph

Doug Moody کے جواب میں

بذریعہ AL Rachels -
Core developers کی تصویر Particularly helpful Moodlers کی تصویر Plugin developers کی تصویر Testers کی تصویر

Doug,

I sympathize with you as I am at the point of needing to get a new prescription for stronger glasses. اداس My workaround is to use Ctrl + and Ctrl - to change text size for my reading ease while actually leaving the text at the default size. Works in all browsers that I have tested. My students who are embarassed to wear glasses love it when I tell them about it.

By the way, Chrome, is the only browser that tells me what percentage I have zoomed to and gives the option of setting that as the default.

HTH,

AL

درجہ بندی کا اوسط:Useful (1)